Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2014, 9:47pm

News:   

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

944Online Forum
   944 Forums
   944 Blog
(Moderators: IAN - 944ONLINE, XxSteve944onlinexX, JAMIE944)
   Answered! Torque specs drive axle flange bolt?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Answered! Torque specs drive axle flange bolt?  (Read 298 times)
Zundfolge
944online Forum Full Member

'83 RoW

Answered! Torque specs drive axle flange bolt?
« on: Oct 8th, 2013, 1:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys, I'm replacing my drive axle seals, can't find any specs for the central bolt that screws the drive axle flange into the gear (manual). It was rather loose, compared to the CV joint.  
The only thing I found is in that link, "10Nm + 90degrees", sounds like non-german engineering to me Wink
 Any hints?
Thanks!

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/r_diff_seal.htm
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013, 1:56pm by Zundfolge » IP Logged

Fixed: driveshaft seals, tach, odo, wiper, all gas lifters, fuses, belts, clock, antenna, roof seal, door checks.
To do: DRL, motor mounts, rims, door/window/hatch seals, clutch cylinders, roof clips
Zundfolge

'83 RoW

Re: Torque specs drive axle flange bolt?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 1:55pm »

For the record: in the US workshop manual, p.34-11, bolt #13: 25 Nm.  Grin
IP Logged

Fixed: driveshaft seals, tach, odo, wiper, all gas lifters, fuses, belts, clock, antenna, roof seal, door checks.
To do: DRL, motor mounts, rims, door/window/hatch seals, clutch cylinders, roof clips
Chewbacca 911 Burritos
944online Forum Guru

Formerly Corsepervita - now with more flavor!

Re: Answered! Torque specs drive axle flange bolt?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 2:00pm »

Newton meters are used frequently in european engineering.  Far less common to use ft lbs.  Inch pounds are also common.  But not as common.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2013, 2:00pm by Chewbacca 911 Burritos » IP Logged

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '77 924
- '79 924
- '80 931
Ronin-951
944online Forum Guru

Masterless Pirate

« Reply #3 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 4:22pm »

Newton-Meters = Foot Pounds X 0.73756
Newton-Meters = Inch Pounds X 8.8507
Foot Pounds = Newton-Meters X 1.3558179
Inch Pounds = Foot Pounds X 0.0833
IP Logged

'Princess' of the Inland Empire, virgin '86, Lady in the City, Ho on the Hiway, Pace not Race!
Zundfolge

'83 RoW

« Reply #4 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 4:42pm »

Thanks folks, I'm fine with funny units (even kilopond x inch, if really necessary Wink ), what put me off was this "+90deg" - never saw that before in tech specs, so I thought I'd better find a better source!
IP Logged

Dave W
944online Forum Guru

Just your basic car guy.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 5:13pm »

The head bolts on my BMW v12 were spec'ed to be 130 ft-lbs + 120 degrees (actually 2 sets of 60 degree turns)

It didn't settle well with me either.  And to top it off, these are torque-to-yield bolts.  I still don't like that idea.
IP Logged

Dave
84 NA, Black, running, smogged, titled, registered, and insured. On the road!
Zundfolge

'83 RoW

« Reply #6 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 5:48pm »

on Oct 8th, 2013, 5:13pm, Dave W wrote:
 And to top it off, these are torque-to-yield bolts.  I still don't like that idea.

I do get that idea: great when weight matters and cost doesn't, soft/sensitive parts can be joint equally firm with less(!) torque, and they clamp differently/better (depends on use case) under vibration.  
Don't like the risk of not replacing them where safety-relevant, though.

IP Logged

Ronin-951
944online Forum Guru

Masterless Pirate

« Reply #7 on: Oct 8th, 2013, 6:04pm »

Seems strange, +60, +120, ... but that's REALLY the way to do it, by Bolt Stretch. Not sure were the cut-off is, but BIG Bolts are all done by the Stretch of the Bolt Shaft, ... of course, Hydraulic Wrenches are used, I can't be everywhere. Grin
IP Logged

'Princess' of the Inland Empire, virgin '86, Lady in the City, Ho on the Hiway, Pace not Race!
Zundfolge

'83 RoW

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2013, 4:32am »

Are the bolts that fix the flange to the diff actually torque-to-yield? I reused them... even if they were, I'd guess that at 25Nm and given their length (3" or more) they remain in the elastic regime, so it's ok.  

I changed the CV-to-flange bolts, they're higher torque (42Nm) and the heads are exposed to grit and all kinds of dirt, would probably never loosen the old ones again..
Got them from a VW dealership, they are fully threaded and have a 911 part number now (still fit into the gearbox from a 70ies Audi Wink )
IP Logged

gaspasser951
944online Forum Senior Member

All bleeding stops, eventually.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2013, 2:17pm »

Bolts and nuts are cheap when compared to what they are holding together.  When in doubt, switch it out!
IP Logged

1986 951 - New GQ (thanks to MGJ)
2007 Cayman S - DD spring/summer/fall
2000 Subaru Forester S - now my winter ride
Zundfolge

'83 RoW

Answered, but gear oil drain plug follow up Q
« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2013, 4:00pm »

An other follow-up: I got brand new drain plugs, and using the recommended torque (24Nm) they still stick out quite substantially (1/3 of their overall length - the old ones were about half of it).  

As  both of them are like that, I doubt that I miss-threaded them ("turn left until click, then tighten"), but it just doesn't seem right.

Sorry for asking such things, I more of a sofa-wrencher Cheesy
IP Logged

Ronin-951
944online Forum Guru

Masterless Pirate

« Reply #11 on: Oct 9th, 2013, 6:02pm »

Quote:
"turn left until click, then tighten"

?, hadn't heard of that before, or the 24 nm. Think it's an M-20 X 1 1/2, should be torqued to 50 nm [37 ftlbs] and a new Sealing Washer used every time, - they come with the Malle Filters btw, - so kind of useless unless the bolt goes in all the way.
IP Logged

Zundfolge

'83 RoW

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10th, 2013, 3:02am »

I think we're missing each other here: you're talking front oil, I'm busy with rear oil Wink
But as good practice I was taught this: when inserting a bolt or screw, turn it the "wrong" way (out) until you hear/feel it dropping down the thread. This helps to prevent you from cutting a new thread. This is especially nice for metal skrews on plastic housings, which could produce their own thread whatever orientation...

Will fill up the gear oil tonight, so I'll see if it's sealed or not.
IP Logged

noahs944
944online Forum Senior Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10th, 2013, 8:14am »

on Oct 8th, 2013, 6:04pm, Ronin-951 wrote:
Seems strange, +60, +120, ... but that's REALLY the way to do it, by Bolt Stretch.

Agreed. This is industry standard. Bolt stretch IS clamping force. Many of us degrease & mark the socket with paint pen & ratchet the socket until the desired turn is realized.
IP Logged

non-purist retro-grouch with questionable tastes
Ronin-951
944online Forum Guru

Masterless Pirate

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10th, 2013, 9:44am »

Sorry Zundfolge, I misunderstood. So, your Transmission Drain Plug, Recessed Allen Head right?, ya, that's a 'Pipe' Thread, so tapered. No telling where the Head will end up. Might be a good thing to have some extra length, - something to grab hold of when the Allen strips out. Cry
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Visit our home page at:
Visit our sister site at: