Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
How-to: Using a wiper motor from a Golf 3 (Read 1104 times)
Zündfolge
Experienced Member

'83 RoW

How-to: Using a wiper motor from a Golf 3
Sep 5th, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Summary: The wiper motor from a Golf 3 will work on a 944/1. It's not a direct fit, but the entire swap is less than an hour if you have all parts in place. You'll need to file off material and manufacture connectors.

Long story:

Part 1: The Theory
When you're reading this you're probably wondering why the OE wiper motor (part# 477955113B) is so expensive - last time I looked in the German Porsche Classic shop it was EUR556.79 plus shipping.

This here is a working solution, not a perfect one. If you get hold of an affordable OE motor later, it will still be a direct fit.

My motor gear died, so all the videos on how to fix the motor itself were of no avail in my case. I found a how-to on the German Porsche Fahrer Forum which I used as main inspiration (I got the idea, the part number and the wiring from there).

Needed items:
- 1 wiper motor from a Golf 3/4 (Passat/New Beetle... Skoda, Audi... Volkswagen Group cars). I ordered part #1J0955119 produced by JP group (Pic A). Alternative VW/Audi/Skoda part numbers: 1C0955119, 1H0955119, 1J1955113, 6X0955119.
- 1 Flange nut M8 (the OEM is M6)
- 1 Flat washer for M8
- 5 crimp shoes, 2.8mm
- Zip tie(s)

Needed tools:
- Metric wrenches/nuts
- Files, preferably a square and a halfround one, to remove material from the motor and the holding bracket.
- A small round file or a drill/chamfer tool to widen the aperture of the washer
- Wire cutter and crimp tool
- the "weak" screw locking glue

Wheelwell ate my workshop log.

IP Logged

Zündfolge
Experienced Member

'83 RoW

Re: How-to: Using a wiper motor from a Golf 3
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Part 2: The Action
1. Remove the old motor (First the black plastic, then the wiper linkage, then the three motor bolts, disconnect).
2. Cut off the plug from the old motor and put crimp shoes on the cables. (The cables of the plug, of course...)
3. File away some material from the motor bracket. I also filed off something from the new motor, to preserve more of the 944 (Pic B). Treat the 944 like a good dentist: it's a limited resource, so don't waste it.
4. When the new motor fits flatly, connect the cables as in Pic C, test run it. Be ready to pull the connector if you did something wrong...
5. Mount the motor. Use a zip tie to stow away your connector/adapter loom.
6. Now this is not mentioned by my German source: The hub is not high enough, the linkage tab will hit the motor fastening bolts. (The linkage tab in a VW is actually cranked, Pic. D.) So take that washer and widen its aperture until the washer touches the corrugated part of the hub (I could imagine that there is an SAE standard washer that would fit directly Tongue ).
7. Mount the linkage on the cone: first that washer, then the wiper linkage tab, then the flange nut (Pic. E).
8. Put nut locking liquid where appropriate.
9. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly Tongue

Here you go. Share and enjoy!

(This is tested on a '83 RoW that has high and low wiper speed, plus intermittent. I hear a 944/2 has three speeds, so this may not work, I have no idea.)

IP Logged

Zündfolge
Experienced Member

'83 RoW

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Part 3: Images
Pic. A
Pic. B
Pic. C
Pic. D
Pic. E

IP Logged

slinger569
Experienced Member

89 Turbo

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2015 at 2:15pm
Print Post  

Nice write up and FYI Zund..!

Dave
84 n/a - sold
89 Turbo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top