Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 A/C Expansion Valve Replacement (Read 2412 times)
jake1234

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

A/C Expansion Valve Replacement
Jul 8th, 2010 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Anbody have a feel for what it takes to change out an A/C Expansion Valve. Garage troubleshot lack of cold A/C to incorrect pressure on one side of the expansion valve. They feel there is an obstruction at the valve. They quoted $100.00 for a new valve and $1400.00 labor to tear the dash apart to remove the heater/A/C box and replace the valve.
Any insight would be appreciated

IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Re: A/C Expansion Valve Replacement
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
its easy - maybe an hour
take off the cowl cover -
you will most likley destroy it when you do  -  so order up a spare now !!

# 4  in this diagram

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+diakey_1185555334+944s2+c...

then take off the top to the fan motor / blower assy -
the piece right under the cowl cover

then you will have this

the expansion valve is # 1 and its wraped in foam to protect it

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+diakey_1185557443+944s2+c...

and yes we have them in stock

this help ?
and save you a thousand dollars or more ?

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

jake1234

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2010 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Sounds significantly better than the garage quote. I'll do some rooting around tonight and check it out. If it's as easy as you say then an order will be headed your way.
Thanks

IP Logged

Woody

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I have opened up the Fan box as outlined above.  I can now see the foam wrapped expansion valve but it is under a plastic mesh. 

Is it proper to cut away this mesh to get to the expansion valve through this opening or is there more to remove?

IP Logged

jake1234

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Has anyone attempted this path? I finally got around to working on this (hot out again) and removed the upper housing. i too see the plastic mesh of the lower housing that prevents access to the valve. I do not want to blindly cut the mesh away. I then attempted to remove the lower housing and loosened all (6) screws but the lower housing will not budge. I then checked the parts Katalog and there is a seal listed. this is likely preventing the removal of the lower housing. I then checked around and the price of the replacement seal is $168.00 OUCH!. I am now stuck.
Has anyone actually performed this repair?

IP Logged

Grandpa#3
Experienced Member

USAF Retired / Civil Service
Retired "GO BLUE"

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 1:38am
Print Post  
After removal of the Housing, Expansion Valve, etc. you buy some 3M Windo Weld to use as a sealer. It comes in a 15' length X 3/8" around and used to seal around new w/shields. Use this to reseal the unit below the w/shield. Any Auto Parts store should carry it.

Cheers,
Larry   Smiley

Use Spell Check and you will always bee right.&&Half way between Perry and Hawkinsville, Georgia&&1985.5 944 n/a  Graphite Metallic, a work in progress. &&1992, 968 Horizon Blue Cab&&&&
IP Logged

jake1234

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I have a new cowl which already has the foam tape seal applied. I am referring to the sealing cord (477 898 011 A) between the lower housing and the body to which the housing is attached. To remove the lower housing this sealing cord must be disturbed. There must be the need for a very good seal at that location for the system to operate properly, hence the sealing cord. I'll check NAPA for the item you mention as I may be mis-interpreting your response.

IP Logged

Grandpa#3
Experienced Member

Retired "GO BLUE"

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Hi Jake, The part # refers to Window Frame RTV Caulk. The 3M WindoWeld works the same way. Clean the area with alcohol so it sticks good. Use a Heat Gun to soften up the bead, mount the Blower Unit and bolt it down. This forms a water tight seal and should cost less than $20.00.

Cheers,
Larry   Smiley

Use Spell Check and you will always bee right.&&Half way between Perry and Hawkinsville, Georgia&&1985.5 944 n/a  Graphite Metallic, a work in progress. &&1992, 968 Horizon Blue Cab&&&&
IP Logged

jake1234

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Went to NAPA and found the item you were referring to and see that it is a black 3/8" X 15' long roll of caulking used for seating windsheilds. Picked up a roll and then removed the lower housing with a putty knife to get it going and then a little prying. Replaced the expansion valve only problem was that Ian sent me two o-rings of the same size. One is smaller so back to NAPA I went. Replaced the o-rings and installed the expansion valve. The black foam stuff was still pretty tacky so I wrapped it around the new valve best possible. Installed the new beading material on the lower housing, cleaned the sheetmetal where the housing mounts and re-installed it. Re-installed the upper housing with no event.
Thanks for the help. Some things on the car make me a little nervous to attack due to the age of the car and the fear of breaking something. Not having a repair manual makes it a little more exciting so I am glad there are knowagable folks out there that will take the time to lend a hand.

IP Logged

Grandpa#3
Experienced Member

Retired "GO BLUE"

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Hi Jake, Happy to hear all went well with your repair. We are all here to help each other out of any tight spot if we can and save some money.

Cheers,
Larry   Smiley

IP Logged

Alabama Sam

Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2014 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Any opinions on the quality of aftermarket expansion valves?  Ian has I think expressed his opinion by not carrying them.  On the other hand, $150.00 is a heavy hit when they are on eBay for as low as $13.00 and change.

Also, Ian's OEM unit is showing a copper extension, that I suppose goes down into the evaporator to check the temperature, whereas the aftermarket models don't show that.  I guess that would have to be soldered on; is that right?

TIA

IP Logged

tracy

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I have a 85 944 but it looks like the older style. Any help getting to it would be a great help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top