Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
The crazy clutch tutorial (LOTS OF PICS!) (Read 12408 times)
3volve
Experienced Member

Re: The crazy clutch tutorial (LOTS OF PICS!)
Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:28pm

Ian - move to tech section?

Corse - Nice guide, easily one of the best ones I've seen, if not THE best

&&Dan&&1987 Porsche 944 Rest In Peace&&2002 Volvo S60 2.4&&2002 Volvo V70 2.4T
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redbarn

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:37pm

Thank you very much Derek, I am in the middle of rebuilding my engine, flywheel/clutch. torque tube, trans, suspension etc.  This is very helpful, great job.

I haven't replaced my rear main seal yet,  I have conflicting info from Haynes and other internet sources about weather it should be flush mounted with the block or pushed home as far as it can go, I see you have recessed about 1-2mm, is that as far as it can get seated?

Thanks again.
Rob

1986 944na&&Brisbane, Australia

IP Logged

Ronin-951
Experienced Member

Masterless Pirate

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:56pm

Nice job 'Corsepervita', and a beautiful concise write-up. Dont know how you kept your emotions out of the mix, but thanks for the cencorship.[doesnt really help-physically] Wondering what other 'nice-to-have' tools you would add? Ya, the trany jack and electric impact gun are there, but not a vice or grinder with wire wheel. As many times as you were under and out, did you use a creeper or cardboard[+1]? Anyway, time now to enjoy the fruit of your labor, and a BIG THANKS for sharing.

'Princess' of the Inland Empire, virgin '86, Lady in the City, Ho on the Hiway, Pace not Race!

IP Logged

vexnoob

That's bird poo. ^^

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:42am

Great write-up.   Grin
I'm going to use this when I do my clutch. Probably going to replace the bearings in my torque tube. Now that I understand how to do it better.

Thanks for taking the time man you've made a lot of people's life much easier when the time comes.

1988 Porsche 944S&&&&1996 Saturn SC2&&&&2010 Ford Fusion SE

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:16am

Redbarn wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:37pm:
Thank you very much Derek, I am in the middle of rebuilding my engine, flywheel/clutch. torque tube, trans, suspension etc.  This is very helpful, great job.

I haven't replaced my rear main seal yet,  I have conflicting info from Haynes and other internet sources about weather it should be flush mounted with the block or pushed home as far as it can go, I see you have recessed about 1-2mm, is that as far as it can get seated?

Thanks again.
Rob

I was told that if it is recessed to the 1-2mm mark it is as far as it will go.  I was told by multiple people that it should go as far as it should go (recessed about 1-2mm) i went that far and it would go no further.  I did not stress it hard, just kept tapping till it felt like it just wouldn't keep recessing.  If you look very carefully at the picture with the old seal, it is recessed just as far, although hard to see due to it being so dirty.

Quote:
Nice job 'Corsepervita', and a beautiful concise write-up. Dont know how you kept your emotions out of the mix, but thanks for the cencorship.[doesnt really help-physically] Wondering what other 'nice-to-have' tools you would add? Ya, the trany jack and electric impact gun are there, but not a vice or grinder with wire wheel. As many times as you were under and out, did you use a creeper or cardboard[+1]? Anyway, time now to enjoy the fruit of your labor, and a BIG THANKS for sharing.

Yeah I know I can tend to go into story mode but tried to keep it out much as possible.  I do tend to write books, but in the instance of a write-up, especially a long one... I can say from doing it I would rather have how to do it and the nitty gritty with the tricks and tips on how to do it than listen to story time lol.  Thanks for the feedback, that is good to hear.

I did not use a creeper or cardboard, I just slid on my back.  However, my garage floor is very smooth, so it's not a big issue.  I did use an old pillow when taking out the tranny because of how heavy it was.  Although if you can get the car high enough, a creeper would probably help!  Most my cars are preeeeeettttyyyy low.  So I usually don't bother.

I did not end up using anything like a grinder or a vice.  If I had to choose, I would most definitely say a professional grade slide hammer would have been awesome for the pilot bearing as it was a real pain in the rear.  The one I made worked fine, but the job would have gone faster with a slidehammer with an adapter.  The grease pressure trick did me NO good as it was REALLY in there (obviously, as you can see, there was rust).

vexnoob wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:42am:
Great write-up.   Grin
I'm going to use this when I do my clutch. Probably going to replace the bearings in my torque tube. Now that I understand how to do it better.

Thanks for taking the time man you've made a lot of people's life much easier when the time comes.

I can only thank you guys back!  I was definitely new to the 944 when I came here, not as much to the 924.  However, without the help of this community I wouldn't have found the resources or info I needed to dive so far into my 944.  I am happy that I can help others as they have helped me! That is what I love so much about this place!

Smiley

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '77 Porsche 924 (trackday project)
- '79 Porsche 924
- '80 Porsche 931 (Daily)

IP Logged

Redbarn

Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:20am

Thanks Derek.  I was thinking of using the old seal to tap the new one in, do you think there are any problems doing that?

Cheers
Rob

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:29am

Redbarn wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:20am:
Thanks Derek.  I was thinking of using the old seal to tap the new one in, do you think there are any problems doing that?

Cheers
Rob

I have /heard/ of such a thing being done.  I did not do this myself, so I can't say how well it would work.  However, I do not see a problem with doing it.  Another thing I saw was a tool for it that was the perfect diameter of the seal, I don't recall where it was or where I saw it, I think I saw a guy on rennlist use it  But you could probably take a new seal in, go find a piece of PVC pipe and match it up and use that as well.

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '79 Porsche 924

IP Logged

jonslocum

Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 11:21am

Fantastic write up. If and or when we need to do a clutch this will be my manual to go by. Drop me an email abd I will send you a box of Nitrile gloves to wear when you work on the car. Keeps the hands in good shape and keeps the missus happy Smiley slocumjon AT gmail.com

Any possibility to put this into a PDF document so it's easily printable?

Thanks again for the double duty; doing the clutch and then writing it up for us!!!

Jon
'86-944
'66-912
76-011 Backdate, 3.4
Hudson Valley - NY

IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:23pm

+ 100
THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME AND EFFORT -
we here at  944  online -
and I'm sure a lot of the forum will agreee
really do appreciate this

Ian

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Ronin-951
Experienced Member

Masterless Pirate

Reply #24 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:05pm

Quote:
perfect diameter of the seal
I dont recomend to many tools from 'Harbor Freight', but the seal installation set is nice, covers a wide range, and most important, insures a straight, even pressure on seals and bearings. Seal casing is very soft and distorts easily. Yes, seat the seal or bearing all the way in to the shoulder - but pay attention to the wear groove on the shaft. Sometimes its better to leave the seal shallow so the diameter is correct at the shaft interface, but not so the seal lip is exposed or partially seated as pressure might blow it out. Start straight, stay straight. Wink

'Princess' of the Inland Empire, virgin '86, Lady in the City, Ho on the Hiway, Pace not Race!

IP Logged

Redbarn

Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 8:11pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

IP Logged

G_Arns

Mine's the nice one on
the left!

Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 2:19pm

Very nice and well thought out tutorial. I will definitely use this as a guide when the time comes.

What was the total timeline from start to finish?

Actual realized costs (including while you're in there's)

Post surgery issues? (Doubtful!)

Congratulations on a job well done, both in mechanics and in short story publication.

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience with us. Will pay off in aces when it's "my turn"

Greg

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Reply #27 - Nov 20th, 2010 at 4:18pm

G_Arns wrote on Nov 20th, 2010 at 2:19pm:
Very nice and well thought out tutorial. I will definitely use this as a guide when the time comes.

What was the total timeline from start to finish?

I did it over the course of a month, however, my time off allows me VERY little time in the garage for moments at a time.  However, if you sat it down and added all the hours up it will come roughly to 20 hours with the torque tube rebuild.  Probably far less if you avoid the pitfalls I ran into, and also don't have to struggle with the torque tube rebuild.  Which if you use the tools I laid out, should be not that big of a deal.

Actual realized costs (including while you're in there's)

All in all I think it came around to about $1k maybe just a hair over with the machine work and such.  If you are able to press the bearings in yourself and do the press work you could probably save some there.  However, doing the torque tube rebuild yourself saves you about $800 or so.  Doing the clutch saves you a TON of labor. 

Post surgery issues? (Doubtful!)

None thus far! Just being really easy on the clutch while I break it in.

Congratulations on a job well done, both in mechanics and in short story publication.

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience with us. Will pay off in aces when it's "my turn"

Greg

Thanks!

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '79 Porsche 924

IP Logged

John924S

Reply #28 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 3:26am

Chewbacca 911 Burritos wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 3:15pm:
If you have any questions you can reply to this thread or email me derek@oo2w.com - happy to help.

I am impressed with the tutoral. 
Very nice and detailed description and photos.

John

Proprietoristicly Refined 1988 924S 75K + 1987 924S 145K

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2010 at 6:52am

Thanks John! I don't think I've seen you post on here in quite a while.  I have always enjoyed reading your posts, they are always informative and always looked up to them, so that means a lot to hear that.  Thank you.

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '79 Porsche 924

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top