Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Why Do I Smell Gas Fumes Inside My Early 944? (Read 1640 times)
XxSteve944onlinexX
944online Admin

Don't shoot the messenger.

Why Do I Smell Gas Fumes Inside My Early 944?
Nov 25th, 2008 at 4:41pm

There are a couple of things you need to check on your early 944, the first is easy check your fuel lines and vent lines. The second is not so easy, on the top of the fuel tank there is a indentation in which the vent lines rest when the top portion of the tank was stamped out of a flat piece of steel the edges of this " valley " or crease is much too sharp and the metal actually splits.
Please look at the following pictures to see what I am talking about:

In just about every early 944 and 924S  the fuel tank is cracked in the same place.
We have the remains of over 170 944's yet I do NOT have a GOOD used tank, that should tell you something.

- OK - Just in from a customer in Australia -
David  - thanks for taking the time to do this and take some pictures

G'day Ian, here are the pics of my fuel tank. The crack is in the usual place. After wire wheeling back to the bare metal I did a little panel beating to smooth out the transition of the metal where the crack appeared.

I then carefully roughed the surface with 60 grit abrasive paper to allow the resin to grip well.

I built up several layers of chopped strand fibreglass mat starting with smaller pieces and overlapping with bigger ones.

As you can see I covered the whole depression area to ensure structural soundness. Normally fibreglass bonding to metal is bulletproof if done properly.

So far (a month on) no problems. I did go to some length to make sure that the venting system was working. I blew out the charcoal canister and blew air through all the lines to make sure they weren't blocked.

So there you go. Maybe that will help someone.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2012 at 12:13pm by IAN - 944ONLINE »  

Steven Manfre Sales Manager 1501 nw 22nd ct  #10 Pompano Beach,Fl 33069 Toll Free 866-944-7883 Local 954-968-3766 www.944online.com
IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Re: Why Do I Smell Gas Fumes Inside My Early 944?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2011 at 2:39pm

just added

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this thread is to document steps taken to drop the automatic transmission and gas tank from a 1987 924s. given a scarcity of auto trans out there, this will help those that have them. purpose of dropping tank is to get rid of the gas smell problem and have the tank rewelded in the trouble areas...

here are steps so far:

--removed exhaust at mid pipe....3 bolts, and took down back half of exhaust from hanger right above the break, and there are side by side hangers for the muffler....

--removed exhaust heat shield above muffler left side, 4 bolts....

--loosened all cv axle bolts, on tranny and on wheel, both sides....i did not remove them yet as i may have to turn the wheel, and if you remove cv impossible to do....

--i was told to remove the shifter linkage bracket in total, i.e. not take the cables apart, but instead the whole bracket.....it is on the left side of the tranny.....

--cannot find yet the reverse switch light to disconnect

--i can see the torque converter, i do not know if you must turn the crankshaft to move the torque converter as there are 3 bolts visible in there, and to get to each one thru the peephole, the torque converter must be turned......

--there is some confusion on whether the coupler needs to be removed on the auto trans.....what is clear is that the torque converter bolts(3) must be removed and then make a steady to prevent the torque converter from falling out of the tranny during removal....

--i can see the tranny mounting bolts, they are above the tranny on the roof on both sides, and i can see the 4 bellhousing bolts....

IP Logged

newworld
944online Forum Full Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: 87 924s auto dropping trans and gas tank
« Reply #1 on: Aug 9th, 2011, 11:10am »  Quote  Modify  Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i will copy this tread on the 944/1 as it should be the same......fyi 
  IP Logged

newworld
944online Forum Full Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: 87 924s auto dropping trans and gas tank
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2011, 7:45am »  Quote  Modify  Remove 

so it appears that next step is to put a socket deep on the crank pulley, so you can turn the torque converter......you need to get at the 3 bolts in turn, and also you need to remove the coupler bolt or bolts, dont know how many there are.....

--also there is a metal piece at back end of auto trans....was told that it is a protection of some sort.....may have to remove it to get more clearance in the back....

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top