Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
RUST HOLES IN BATTERY TRAY =  WATER ON THE FLOOR (Read 1183 times)
IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

RUST HOLES IN BATTERY TRAY =  WATER ON THE FLOOR
Sep 16th, 2008 at 11:37am

rust holes under the battery is something we ALL MUST CHECK FOR !!!!!
is getting to be a common problem - as the cars get older and batteries are in and out a lot -  
acid can and does get spilled - water will leak into the car on the passenger side ,  
and on the 85/2 cars , and the turbo , water leaks right onto the computers -  
with winter coming , and I know you guys like winter projects -  its a good idea to take the battery out - and have a good cleaning of the battery tray area- clean the drain hole , and make sure water runs out of it  - check for acid/ rust holes -  
if you have no holes - great - clean it REALLY well with a wire brush - 2 coats of rust inhibitor - WALMART - MAKE SURE IT DRIES BETWEEN COATS-  
then 2 coats of Bed Liner paint - also WALMART - and also make sure it dries between coats - and make sure you don't clog the drain hole -  
if you have rust holes  -  
well thats a whole new thing -  
depending on the location of the holes , and the size of the holes in the battery tray  - that will be the deciding factor on how you go about fixing them -  
you can cut out as much of the rusted metal as you can - and try and fabricate some type of tray to take place of what you've cut out-  
again - its going to depend on how big the holes are  
but you get my drift -
after you've done that -
go and paint with the rust inhibitor and follow the instructions in the first part of this post -  
let us know what you find
and I hope this helps

its time to post this AGAIN

another guy in trouble

so guys
take a look !!

"
Hello,

My name is Clayton, and I'm doing some general repairs to my father's 944T.  Over the course of the repairs I have found the battery tray has some rust holes which I have since fixed.  However during the prep-work for the repairs some water has drained through the holes and has most likely dripped onto the 2 computers for the car.  As a result it turns over as strong as ever, but won't fire.  Which unit is the most likely culprit and would you know of a repair service or perhaps a repair guide to inspect these ecu's?  I should mention that I have no access to a spare unit to test, and the car has an aftermarket chip to compensate for a larger turbo.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! "

and another - 09/10/2010

Comment.:Have a rusted out battery tray in a recent 86' 951 purchase.  Do you happen to sell a replacement part or have any suggestions on where I can get one?

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2010 at 11:15am by IAN - 944ONLINE »  

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Re: RUST HOLES IN BATTERY TRAY =  WATER ON THE FLO
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2011 at 10:40am

add another one to the list  -

Hi Ian,

I have a 87 944 turbo.  I washed the car and got water under the passenger side carpet.  Found out there was a leak in the battery tray.  After the car wash I drove the car 5 feet and it turned off.  It has been a week and wont start.  I opened up the DME and put some rubbing alcohol on it to pull out moisture.  Connected it back up, still no start.  here is what I have.

No Start
Car Cranks
Replaced DME relay with another still no start
Tried jumping the DME relay via slot 30 87 and 87b
The tach bounches a little bit 1mm when cranking
No fuel pressure
Battery had 12.3 volts and a few days later has 11.6
After checking for fuel pressure some fuel escaped and now cranking is minimal and tach only moves once the key is released from on position

Please let me know what it could be... Thanks!

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 3:15pm

whats happens Ian  ?
is this why my car won't run ?

this !!!!!!!!!!!

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2012 at 11:56pm

Another very cool link to why water gets in your car
And how to fix it

Thank you Dave w

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi?board=944-1;action=display;num=...

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top