Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
rust holes in battery tray - water in the DME (Read 1011 times)
IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

rust holes in battery tray - water in the DME
May 6th, 2011 at 2:23pm

rust holes under the battery is something we ALL MUST CHECK FOR !!!!!  
is getting to be a common problem - as the cars get older and batteries are in and out a lot -  
acid can and does get spilled - water will leak into the car on the passenger side ,  
and on the 85/2 cars , and the turbo , water leaks right onto the computers -  
with winter coming , and I know you guys like winter projects -  its a good idea to take the battery out - and have a good cleaning of the battery tray area- clean the drain hole , and make sure water runs out of it  - check for acid/ rust holes -  
if you have no holes - great - clean it REALLY well with a wire brush - 2 coats of rust inhibitor - WALMART - MAKE SURE IT DRIES BETWEEN COATS-  
then 2 coats of Bed Liner paint - also WALMART - and also make sure it dries between coats - and make sure you don't clog the drain hole -  
if you have rust holes  -  
well thats a whole new thing -  
depending on the location of the holes , and the size of the holes in the battery tray  - that will be the deciding factor on how you go about fixing them -  
you can cut out as much of the rusted metal as you can - and try and fabricate some type of tray to take place of what you've cut out-  
again - its going to depend on how big the holes are  
but you get my drift -  
after you've done that -  
go and paint with the rust inhibitor and follow the instructions in the first part of this post -    
let us know what you find  
and I hope this helps  

its time to post this AGAIN  

another guy in trouble

so guys  
take a look !!

"
Hello,

My name is Clayton, and I'm doing some general repairs to my father's 944T.  Over the course of the repairs I have found the battery tray has some rust holes which I have since fixed.  However during the prep-work for the repairs some water has drained through the holes and has most likely dripped onto the 2 computers for the car.  As a result it turns over as strong as ever, but won't fire.  Which unit is the most likely culprit and would you know of a repair service or perhaps a repair guide to inspect these ecu's?  I should mention that I have no access to a spare unit to test, and the car has an aftermarket chip to compensate for a larger turbo.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! "

and another - 09/10/2010

Comment.:Have a rusted out battery tray in a recent 86' 951 purchase.  Do you happen to sell a replacement part or have any suggestions on where I can get one?

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2010, 7:15am by IAN - 944ONLINE »  IP Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e mail
ian@944online.com
phone
toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883
outside the USA
1 954 968 3766
FAX -1 954 968 3798  
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2011 at 6:02pm by IAN - 944ONLINE »  

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Re: rust holes in battery tray - water in the DME
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 6:04pm

here's what a water board job looks like

and came out of this

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top