Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Instaling Transmission: Coupler dosn't line up (Read 1775 times)
shibby_cbs
Experienced Member

I love cheese!

Instaling Transmission: Coupler dosn't line up
Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
so i was able to get the coupler to slide on after a bit of effort but now it seems that the holes for the two bolts dont line up correctly with the grooves in both shafts. it almost seems like the driveshaft isn't long enough. does anybody have any clue what might be going on here?

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2011 at 12:37am by shibby_cbs »  

1985.5 944 N/A 189,000 Sunroof delete

IP Logged

shibby_cbs
Experienced Member

I love cheese!

Re: Instaling Transmission: Coupler dosn't line up
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 1:56am
Print Post  
so after a second look i noticed what looks like to be the problem. do these two sections looks way too far apart to you (they are the pair of hooks both on the driveshaft tube and torque tube that interlock). if they were closer together (by pushing the driveshaft tube back) it would most certainly solve my issue. i think they may have spread apart when i had drop the rear end of the car to get to my break lines. i had to force them apart to get the rear end down. i hope i didnt permanently damage something. does anybody know how i can skoot the driveshaft tube back forward?

IP Logged

Dawgz83948
Experienced Member

Wow!! A fast N/A 944.

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Prybar, I've had to do that before. BTW your torque tube looks like it's in the normal position.

1990 944 S2 cab - 5.7l *Update* LE2 Heads, 11.0:1, Cstm Intake, .565 223 230 cam 418rwhp 423rwtq. &&Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear smart, until you hear them speak.

IP Logged

gcb729
Experienced Member

AN OLD 944 - is BETTER
than most other  Cars

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Your problem is the shaft inside the drive tube. Loosen the drive shaft coupler clamps (the one you have in place), but not too much or the shaft won't turn a full 360 degrees. As the previous post recommended either pry the transmission shaft forward (not much force) and the torque tube shaft back or both, to achieve alignment. Seems like it should not mater, but I put the coupler & bolt on the torque tube spline first (through bolt threaded, but not tight), then I put the transmission shaft side in, prying on the coupler back toward trans to get alignment.
Good luck, hope this is the ticket.

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
+1, the torque tube shaft got pushed forward.  Not too hard to do.  Did you rebuild the tube? If so you probably got a measurement wrong on the shaft placement.  If not them it may have been bumped as you took something out.  Just needs to come out a bit. 

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '77 Porsche 924 (trackday project)
- '79 Porsche 924
- '80 Porsche 931 (Daily)

IP Logged

shibby_cbs
Experienced Member

I love cheese!

Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
no i didnt rebuild the tube but it did get banged around a bit when i was messing with the rear suspension. when i first encountered the problem i was able to clamp the coupler on the drive shaft end and pry against the coupler to slide the drive shaft out a bit but it seemed to stop and i was afraid to pry too hard on the coupler for fear of breaking it. its not a cheap part. how much play is in shaft?

IP Logged

shibby_cbs
Experienced Member

I love cheese!

Reply #6 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Got it guys thanks...I was a bit worried about this...was able to pry it out slowly but surely...all is well.....for now

IP Logged

L-Train8

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
This is an old thread, but I ran into the same problem and found this when I searched for a solution.

I replaced the clutch in my 944, and when I put the transmission back in, I could not get the coupler bolts to line up with the shaft grooves. I could not get the shaft to move in the torque tube with a hammer or prybar, as described here.

I ended up taking out the torque tube completely, following the procedure from Clark's Garage website. It is non-trivial and requires lowering the rear suspension.

Once the torque tube was out, I tried a bigger hammer - a sledge hammer, with a block of wood between the hammer and the shaft. It still wouldn't budge.

At this point, worried I might break something, I did some research into how the torque tube works. There are guides on rebuilding the torque tube, including one at Clark's Garage, that show there are 4 bearings inside the tube, and the shaft goes through all of them. What I read indicated that when you are installing the shaft, it might get a little tight after going through the fourth bearing, and a little hammering should get it through. Obviously, this wasn't the case for me.

I finally found a video of an Australian woman rebuilding her torque tube, and in the last few seconds of it, she has trouble getting the shaft all the way in the tube. She ended up using a hydraulic jack to press the shaft into the tube. That's what I ended up doing as well. Using blocks of wood and bracing everything against the frame of my garage door, I was able to get the jack on the shaft. It wasn't budging and then all of a sudding it let go with a loud ping and moved about 1/2 inch at once. I had to get a hammer and tap it back a bit the other way, but that finally got it aligned properly.

One of the most challenging jobs I've faced as a backyard mechanic.

IP Logged

L-Train8

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Here's a picture of the setup. It makes things clear much quicker than describing with words.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top