Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Odometer fix? (Read 2466 times)
Crisp

'89 S2

Odometer fix?
Aug 1st, 2011 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
hey all, I need to fix my odo because it has stopped. I would also like to fix the trip if I can. Could someone please give me instruction on how to replace the gear and the parts I need. Thanks so much. Im in a rush so excuse me if I made it sound demanding.  Smiley

I love my Porsche. Even if it does leak oil and break regularly.

IP Logged

jws
Experienced Member

Re: Odometer fix?
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
I know that Ian sells the gear that you need to replace as for how there is a link in the tech section I believe.  The gear is cheap I think it's about $25 or so.

I did mine about a year ago and it was a very easy job just a little time consuming but not much.  I will say this while you are going in to replace the gear I would suggest for you to fix the cluster lights while you are in there.  That is why I changed out my speedometer gear.  My speedo was working but I figured that why I was in there I would change it out and I'm glad I did because as soon as I started messing with it the gear just disintegrated so it wasn't to long before it would have needed it anyway.

There are three plastic reflectors in your instrument cluster that are just old and the reflective paint is dull and cracking and your instrument lights are dim because of it.  A normal thing with the 944!  After I fixed them I replaced the light bulbs with blue LED bulbs and the instrument cluster at night looks amazing.  I also rebuild the clock and used a blue LED light in it.

They sell kits for the reflector rebuild but I didn't use one.  All I did was use a tape that air conditioning guys use in taping up duct work.  It's kind of like duct tape but it is metal (aluminum I believe).  I think that I wrote a little piece about this and posted it.  I will try to find it and send it to you.

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked 8) ??? Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry

IP Logged

IAN - 944ONLINE
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
the gear is here - and it comes with instructions

and of your dash lights are dim
and as the cluster will be out
replace the dash bulbs with leds now !!

click here for the info
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Product+skukey_20050332+944s2+acc...

e mail&&ian@944online.com&&phone&&toll free in the USA 1 866 944 7883&&outside the USA&&1 954 968 3766&&FAX -1 954 968 3798
WWWYIM  
IP Logged

Crisp

'89 S2

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Awsome thanks!

I love my Porsche. Even if it does leak oil and break regularly.

IP Logged

mueller944
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 1:29am
Print Post  
i wouldnt bother, its gonna break again anyway. my 250,000 mile car technically has only had 120,000 for the past decade Wink

IP Logged

Will Zehring

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
@mueller944:  Ha!  food for thought.  I'm just joining this conversation but that's because my odo just stopped working at 111,700 miles.  Perfect timing for a winter project as we're due to get 8" of the stuff tomorrow.

Will Zehring
'89 2.7L
Mountain Top, PA

IP Logged

Danil

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
However my suggestion is irrelevant to all of the post-85.5 cars, I PERMANENTLY fixed odometer on my early NA. As a bonus, I got the opportunity to easily adjust the speedo.

There is a topic in 944/1: https://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1537904853

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top