Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
87 924s auto dropping trans and gas tank (Read 992 times)
newworld

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

87 924s auto dropping trans and gas tank
Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:09pm

this thread is to document steps taken to drop the automatic transmission and gas tank from a 1987 924s. given a scarcity of auto trans out there, this will help those that have them. purpose of dropping tank is to get rid of the gas smell problem and have the tank rewelded in the trouble areas...

here are steps so far:

--removed exhaust at mid pipe....3 bolts, and took down back half of exhaust from hanger right above the break, and there are side by side hangers for the muffler....

--removed exhaust heat shield above muffler left side, 4 bolts....

--loosened all cv axle bolts, on tranny and on wheel, both sides....i did not remove them yet as i may have to turn the wheel, and if you remove cv impossible to do....

--i was told to remove the shifter linkage bracket in total, i.e. not take the cables apart, but instead the whole bracket.....it is on the left side of the tranny.....

--cannot find yet the reverse switch light to disconnect

--i can see the torque converter, i do not know if you must turn the crankshaft to move the torque converter as there are 3 bolts visible in there, and to get to each one thru the peephole, the torque converter must be turned......

--there is some confusion on whether the coupler needs to be removed on the auto trans.....what is clear is that the torque converter bolts(3) must be removed and then make a steady to prevent the torque converter from falling out of the tranny during removal....

--i can see the tranny mounting bolts, they are above the tranny on the roof on both sides, and i can see the 4 bellhousing bolts....

IP Logged

newworld

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: 87 924s auto dropping trans and gas tank
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:10pm

i will copy this tread on the 944/1 as it should be the same......fyi

IP Logged

newworld

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: 87 924s auto dropping trans and gas tank
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 11:45am

so it appears that next step is to put a socket deep on the crank pulley, so you can turn the torque converter......you need to get at the 3 bolts in turn, and also you need to remove the coupler bolt or bolts, dont know how many there are.....

--also there is a metal piece at back end of auto trans....was told that it is a protection of some sort.....may have to remove it to get more clearance in the back....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top