Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
What to look for (Read 946 times)
baz944

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

What to look for
Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Looking at a local 93 968 with Tiptronic transmission. Are these cars less problematic than the 944 S2? What are the mandatory items I need to check?

IP Logged

Dawgz83948
Experienced Member

Wow!! A fast N/A 944.

Re: What to look for
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
baz944 wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:49pm:
Looking at a local 93 968 with Tiptronic transmission. Are these cars less problematic than the 944 S2? What are the mandatory items I need to check?

They have the same issues as the S2.

1990 944 S2 cab - 5.7l *Update* LE2 Heads, 11.0:1, Cstm Intake, .565 223 230 cam 418rwhp 423rwtq. &&Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear smart, until you hear them speak.

IP Logged

dpoul34
Experienced Member

1987 944 Turbo

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
So what are S2 issues?  Thinking of looking at one in a couple days.

1987 951 56000 miles Black Beauty (Stella)

IP Logged

Dawgz83948
Experienced Member

Wow!! A fast N/A 944.

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
IXIVIV wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 9:12am:
Not sure if this will help or not but I bought my S2 from a guy who had had MX5s previously and owned the Porsche for only about a year.  There was some excuses about how he thought his wife would like it and drive it during the week and he would use it weekends but I didn't buy it.

I did buy the car Wink

There are various things you should assess even you can't seenthe car or get a PPI done.

I wouldn't dare without personally seeing it and getting a PPI from someone I trust.

What someone thinks is "good condition" can be a long stretch from what you wanted to end up living with, repairing and paying for.

There is lots of stuff to consider depending on how reliable you think your source is.

Belts belts belts, water pump, rollers and front engine seals done every other belt change.

Cam and balance belts every 45k (kms) water pump and rollers every 90 so you are likely to be up for that - and how expensive that is depends on how handy you are and/or if you have a good pro local you can supply personally sourced parts for.

Then cam chain tensioner ramps absolutely must be done when you get it anyway - at least inspected to see if new!

Numerous things could be annoyances or deal breakers - particularly bad if the deal is done!

Air con, central locking, sun roof, lights, demisters and electric seat operations, state of the upholstery, clutch master and slave cylinder age and operation of clutch, brakes and suspension.

Oh, and the cooling fan operation - overheating will kill.

That would be a good list to chew over.  Everything is here and on the enthusiast boards.

Ian and the 944online team have all the advice, parts, patience and customer service you need to love and live with your S2 if (or when Wink ) you get it!

Good luck and ask heaps of questions and read read read.

This is a totally different beast to an MX5 (of any kind) and would be a big change for you but ask any 944 aficionado about the drive and ... Well Nuf Said!

HTH, 2c or ther abouts, ymmv Cheesy
Will

1990 944 S2 cab - 5.7l *Update* LE2 Heads, 11.0:1, Cstm Intake, .565 223 230 cam 418rwhp 423rwtq. &&Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear smart, until you hear them speak.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top