Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Fuel type/grade for porsche 944? (Read 5785 times)
OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: Fuel type/grade for porsche 944?
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
US octane is an average of research and motor.
It is posted on the pumps (R+M/2).

Having said that. I have raised the compression on both of my 944's as well as added Wilks performance chips.

Now it does make a difference if I do not use higher octane fuel.
She needs mid-grade. Runs best on Premium.

Price you pay to run higher compression ratios...

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Brainiac

Reply #16 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
….well I just wanted to chime in on an experiment I am undertaking...mine is an 84 n/a that I have had for six years...up until recently I have always put in either regular or more often midgrade Chevron, taking the advice of those who seem to be in the know here...I make it a point to use Green Marine Stabil as well, been doing so for about 4 years...about a month ago I finally got around to looking in the manual for recommended fuel, and then looking at the Chevron pump, I interpreted it as saying ( perhaps erroneously) minimum 91 octane so I put in 92 Octane Chevron Supreme....the first tank only took about 8-9 gallons...anyway I had a 150 mile business trip to take the next day....the road through Eastern WA State was two lane with very little traffic, some big canyons, hills with lots of curves and straightaways...I was being bad and I drove it very hard and very fast while constantly looking for law enforcement....I had not done that in years...on the return trip I took a different route with lots of 30-40 MPH curves that I was easily doubling the speed...never got out of 4th gear for 15 miles...after that road, then I was on the interstate and kept it at 75 and under....with this car I have never gotten better than 22 mpg...when  I stopped for fuel, considering how I had been exceedingly breaking the law for about 200 miles, high revs for a lot of it, I was expecting mileage in the upper teens at best...I was shocked at seeing that I had gotten about 24.5...I cannot really tell about more or less power...it has always run great for me and I am not a good judge of things like that...since then I have been putting in Chevron Supreme 92 octane...mileage is always between 24-26 mpg...and I drive it like I always have...I take it easy most of the time, but on certain roads, on ramps and when passing, I have fun and drive it hard...as far as  know, this motor is plain jane but when I bought it, it had an exhaust header, I replaced it a few years ago, and last year when repairing a ruined camshaft and timing gear I discovered a broken valve spring...Lindsey Racing rebuilt the head and gave me a deal on turbo valve springs...so with the better mpg, at least I am not paying more out of pocket for premium, but am I doing any harm?...I am going to switch back to midgrade (89) next week to see if I notice anything...

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
No harm...
Hey, if your car likes it, that's all that matters.
Every motor is different.
Carbon buildups. A/F ratio, REAL compression ratio, variation in manufacturing... All can make one motor behave differently than another.

It can all play a part in how "detonation sensitive" a motor is.

Both of my 944 cars get 24-29mpg depending on driving style.
never seen one get in the teens. Something is not right about that...

IP Logged

Brainiac

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 3:00am
Print Post  
….well...my experiment is over...the last couple of tanks my mileage with the premium Chevron never got above 23...that tells me it was probably more to do with my driving style...and on a couple tanks it was great...but perhaps I was fooling myself...I have gone back to mid grade Chevron...and though I mentioned that I am not a good judge of power comparisons...it does seem to be running stronger and more fun as a result...and if I stick with it...I will save money!!! ...I wonder if gas varies from location to location...even if it is the same brand...Thanks again Ohio Tom...

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Yes, fuel quality can vary alot..

In Ohio, fuel "may have upto 10% Ethanol" in the regular grade.
All depends on what that station buys from the dealer.

yes fuel dealers sell all kinds of grades of regular gasoline.
Even "off spec" stuff is sold to cheap stations to dump it.
My Brother works in the industry and tells me they make over 100 grades of fuel for the USA. Each state and even Cities can have thier own specs on fuel.

Meaning: It may, or maynot have ethanol.....

great...

One reason I am not afraid to run premium. The quality is much better, and is always 100% GAS.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top