Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
931 things to look out for (Read 1661 times)
blue 981

931 things to look out for
Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Hi folks
I have been lurking in this site for a while now. Last year I bought a 1984 944. It's been very much fun and really not much headache with respect to mechanical issues. ( knock on wood). This site has been a great source of info.. Thanks everyone!  I may have the opportunity to purchase a 1981 924 turbo.  Other than the normal 'old car' issues would you think there are any specifics I should be focusing on when I inspect this vehicle. Any thoughts are appreciated. It's suppose to run, in good condition, pics don't seem to show any rust.  Not much else I know about it at this time. Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Re: 931 things to look out for
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
blue 981 wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:55am:
Hi folks
I have been lurking in this site for a while now. Last year I bought a 1984 944. It's been very much fun and really not much headache with respect to mechanical issues. ( knock on wood). This site has been a great source of info.. Thanks everyone!  I may have the opportunity to purchase a 1981 924 turbo.  Other than the normal 'old car' issues would you think there are any specifics I should be focusing on when I inspect this vehicle. Any thoughts are appreciated. It's suppose to run, in good condition, pics don't seem to show any rust.  Not much else I know about it at this time. Thanks in advance

- Fuel lines.  They aren't hard lines or SS lines like the 911 or the 924.  Instead they are a semi-soft/flexible core wrapped in rubber.  Check them to see if there is any signs of age.  If you replace them, you are best to replace them with SOLID LINES or SS lines.  Engine fires are a pain in the butt.
- Check the torsion bar for sagging, just like any 924/944, replace bushings if necessary.
- Pull the charge pipe that goes to the intake manifold and look for any signs of oil.  If the turbo oil seals are going, it'll be obvious by signs of oil in the charge pipe.
- Oil/Air separators are usually junk by now, look on the driver side, just behind the air box, and see if the oil separator is even there, and if it is, to see if the top has cracked and separated.  Consider getting one made in aluminum or something that isn't crappy like plastic if it is.  Or just have someone fab you one up.
- Pull the plugs and look for oil on the plugs to also look for signs of leaky oil seals and/or leaky valve guides.
- Compression test, see if it's consistent across the board.  924 motors are d**n near bullet proof as it is, so it's usually not a problem, but it's a good idea.
- People tend to hillbilly wire things on these cars they don't understand.  Check to see if anything for the boost switch has been hillbilly jacked on the air intake, also check to see if any extra relays were added in the engine bay for the starter.  Consider rewiring it properly if they are.
- Look under the dash, on the top fuse box, not the lower fuse box.  Turn the car on, set the parking brake.  Let the car run for a minute or two and carefully feel each fuse.  See if any of the metal cores of the fuse are hot.  It is really common on the S1 and S2 for bad grounding, if there is, they'll be hot.

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '77 Porsche 924 (trackday project)
- '79 Porsche 924
- '80 Porsche 931 (Daily)

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2016 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
- These are a G31 transmission which means they are 915 inspired.  The odd thing about these is that they are a dogleg transmission based off the 911 915 transmission, which also means they use the same coupler system.  First check the shifter for play.  See if it's worn oddly from side to side.  If side to side play is good (shifter isn't worn) but there is still a huge amount of slop, you're looking at replacing the coupler bushings that sit on the TOP of the torque tube.  Not fun to do, but necessary.

Worth mentioning that there is a gentleman who makes HARD replacements that are BETTER than the 911 coupler replacement stock bushings.  Google "The Coupler Whisperer", you will 99.9% need to shave them down ever so slightly (I used fine sand paper) to make them fit solid, yet smoothly.  I did for mine.  But they will last you d**n near forever and fix every bit of slop that coupler can allow.

As it is a 915 based transmission, also recommend using as good of fluid as you can and flush it once a season for the transaxle.

- Check clutch for tolerance just as you would a 944.  Climb under, pull the rubber cover off the bellhousing (if it exists) and look at the end of the arm.  If it is somewhere in the middle for the release arm then the clutch is fairly new.  If it is receding into the side where the slave sits, it is near end of life.

Clutch replacement is similar, nearly the same as a 944.

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '79 Porsche 924

IP Logged

blue 981

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Thanks a lot for the info.  As it turns out I passed on the car after looking at it.  Generally A little too rough for what I was looking for.  The deal breaker was a large rust hole in the upper frame just behind the right front strut attachment point on a raised stringer, not in battery compartment but just in front, basically you could look down at the right front tire. Oh well, next time.. thanks again for the info.

IP Logged

Chewbacca 911 Burritos
Experienced Member

Formerly Corsepervita
Now with more flavor!

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2016 at 1:11am
Print Post  
blue 981 wrote on Mar 20th, 2016 at 12:56am:
Thanks a lot for the info.  As it turns out I passed on the car after looking at it.  Generally A little too rough for what I was looking for.  The deal breaker was a large rust hole in the upper frame just behind the right front strut attachment point on a raised stringer, not in battery compartment but just in front, basically you could look down at the right front tire. Oh well, next time.. thanks again for the info.

Yikes.  Yeah that's no good.  Sounds like a good deal to pass on.

- '99 Ducati 900SS
- '87 Lamborghini Jalpa
- '79 Porsche 924

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top