Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
ATE Bremen Master Cylinder rebuild kit (Read 1602 times)
tedvk

ATE Bremen Master Cylinder rebuild kit
Mar 24th, 2017 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
I recently purchased a genuine Porsche rebuild kit Part number:92835591300 to rebuild the master brake cylinder on my 1981 Porsche 924.

Upon opening I noticed one difference. The new secondary piston in the kit is different from the old secondary piston in the master cylinder.

On the non-tapered end of this piston, the old piston had a metal ring (part of the piston) that divided the two halves of the separating seal. Each separating seal set in a cavity. The
new piston has only a single cavity or these separating seals. The groove is wide enough so that the two halves could be mounted back to back. However I do not know if this is correct. The ATE instruction sheet in the kit does not address this point and the figures only show two cavities like the old piston.

What is correct? Any comments would be welcome.

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Re: ATE Bremen Master Cylinder rebuild kit
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
tedvk wrote on Mar 24th, 2017 at 2:22pm:
I recently purchased a genuine Porsche rebuild kit Part number:92835591300 to rebuild the master brake cylinder on my 1981 Porsche 924.

Upon opening I noticed one difference. The new secondary piston in the kit is different from the old secondary piston in the master cylinder.

On the non-tapered end of this piston, the old piston had a metal ring (part of the piston) that divided the two halves of the separating seal. Each separating seal set in a cavity. The
new piston has only a single cavity or these separating seals. The groove is wide enough so that the two halves could be mounted back to back. However I do not know if this is correct. The ATE instruction sheet in the kit does not address this point and the figures only show two cavities like the old piston.

What is correct? Any comments would be welcome.

It seems a 1981 patent is available for your consideration.

A reserved recognition of terms is attached based on the sliding pistons shape and or seals in your original post (OP). Necessary abutment surfaces for the sealing sleeves described in OP may or may not conservatively match descriptions in the attached or focused images in the PDF.

One idea is to always identify the part number of the tandem master cylinder (TMC) for verification of any additional kits upon rebuilding of your 1981 set up originally equipment manufacture (OEM) intended purpose and compatibility.

Otherwise dysfunctional operations of equipment is inherently in question based on determinations made by the insurance carriers and national highway transportation safety administration (NHTSA) on recall or certification use of your planned re-work using any forms of substitution to the OEM recommendations.

US4255932.pdf ( 342 KB | Downloads )

* Elmuh Fudd / Yosemite Sam... Duuude, I cawwed shotgun dipwomacy 3 minutes ago *

IP Logged

JBCB944
Experienced Member

Excuse me stewardess,
I speak jive....

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
It seems a 1981 patent is available for your consideration.

A reserved recognition of terms is attached based on the sliding pistons shape and or seals in your original post (OP). Necessary abutment surfaces for the sealing sleeves described in OP may or may not conservatively match descriptions in the attached or focused images in the PDF.

One idea is to always identify the part number of the tandem master cylinder (TMC) for verification of any additional kits upon rebuilding of your 1981 set up originally equipment manufacture (OEM) intended purpose and compatibility.

Otherwise dysfunctional operations of equipment is inherently in question based on determinations made by the insurance carriers and national highway transportation safety administration (NHTSA) on recall or certification use of your planned re-work using any forms of substitution to the OEM recommendations.

[/quote]

Anchor: as Mr. Taggart said to Mr. Lamarr in "Blazing Saddles":

"Darnit Mr. Lamarr, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whor.."

82 Volkswagen Scirocco *R.I.P. dear friend*, 02 GMC YukonXL, 05 Volvo XC90, 85.5 Porsche 944 N/A, 16 GMC 2500HD Sierra, 16 Cheverolet Suburban

IP Logged

Zündfolge
Experienced Member

'83 RoW

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Huh, didn't see this thread yet - that is correct, the two seals go into one groove, I have seen that on a Mercedes rebuild, if this buys me any credibility on the internet. ... Order/orientation are important, though, but I can't scrape up the details.

Wheelwell ate my workshop log.

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
I did not see any 1/2 seals (" that divided the two halves of the separating seal"original post) in this kit below?Could be you mean each (1) seal serves as half of the entire seal. Or it is a double opposed stepped pressure sequence seal based on the position of the piston and that seems too close to call for a mere single metal ring ("old piston had a metal ring" original post) in between them. The parts may be different from the teves or girling versions and if ABS is on the car may require replacement of TMC entirely rather than a kit. Clark's list a different part number than the original post (OP).

Where are the spring(s) for this kit? They would go over the pistons taper ("non-tapered end of this piston" original post)for the fluid to maintain pressure against the pistons head cap or shoulder (stepped) portion of the piston.

Perhaps conformance to the cylinder housing bore even more importance. This link has the three different bore's in the TMChttp://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=39210

In some cases, when trying to identify ATE products that match a particular vehicle, you’ll need the vehicle’s VIN or PR number (production code).
Refresher Joke while trying to understand the remedy:
Question:What is the definition of happy and questionably panicked at the same instant?

Answer:Watching your mother in-law back off the side of a cliff in your new Porsche. Cool Yea I know lots of People feel remorse a few days later. Grin

Cylinder bore : maybe a stepped bore in the housing for certain designed actuation conflicts with a tapered piston. Even spring rates may not be the same as a tapered piston. Give anyone a brake? Might be wise all, take XYZAL. Brakes are a big deal.
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2013/mobil-1-technology-hub/nasc...

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2017 at 1:15pm by anchor »  

brake-06.pdf ( 42 KB | Downloads )
vol3_Repair-TMC.pdf ( 27 KB | Downloads )
92835591300.jpg ( 39 KB | Downloads )
92835591300.jpg

* Elmuh Fudd / Yosemite Sam... Duuude, I cawwed shotgun dipwomacy 3 minutes ago *

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top