non-purist retro-grouch with questionable taste

IP Logged

T_Ryan.
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: SCCA Trans Am
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
looks like it was running rich to keep the temps down...look at those sweet flames on the overrun.

xr4ti merkur in second?

IP Logged

STEELSHOE

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 2:26am
Print Post  
There ya go.   It takes 650 hp to make this car fun!   There is hope!!!!

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:44am
Print Post  
Bill,

What are your thoughts regarding the "spoiler" on this car? I notice there's no splitter or wing. Its  that because rules?

Wouldn't a wing offer more benefits (namely less drag) then this spoiler? (or what would you call it? thhe 911 version is called a "duck tail"). 

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:15am by Noah »  

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 4:14am
Print Post  

IP Logged

STEELSHOE

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Noah    I think this is before anybody thought of a splitter.
Nothing wrong with the spoiler.  I don't know what the rules were back then.  You have to remember that even in 1990, the aero on cars wasn't that sophisticated.  Heck, even today it isn't always very sophisticated.  I mentioned in an earlier thread how to determine what would work to plant the rear of the car.  5 bucks worth of yarn and tape, and a GO PRO camera, and you WILL know more about airflow on your car than anyone else.  You have to keep in mind that just adding down force is not always the best thing to do.  The down force must be balanced front to back, or the car will not be driveable at speed.  I like the 650 hp part a ton!!!!!  No such thing as too much HP, unless it has a horrible power band, or it breaks.  I think this car would really come to life with something over 300 hp.  I am ready to sell mine.  I have had it with the horrible German Engineering.  This is the second worst engineered car I have ever worked on.  Dodge Stealth being the worst.

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
I agree with MANY aspects being horribly engineered.
You have only experienced some of them. Wait until you have to drop the oil pan or change the clutch.
I promise this: next time I need to drop the pan, the engine is being lifted out to do it. I might even consider that for changing the clutch. Sorry but I do my best work standing up, not on my back on a slimy floor getting dirt in my eye.

The typical methods for working on these cars is a$$backwards.

------

But, for me the reward is in the driving of the car. The feedback is second to non in my book. I'm keeping Wilson for good. Make him close to bullet proof & there is nothing he can't do.

I'm sorry you hate the car. It's difficult to live with a vehicle that isn't compatible with your own engineering mind. I feel that way about the road going 951, there is too much junk under the hood.

If you leave us, I will miss you. Sad

IP Logged

STEELSHOE

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Noah  I'm laughing.  When I got this car, it was between getting another Camaro and a 944.  I have had 7 Camaro's and restored 2, and built the 2150 lb tube framed one.  With very little work they handle exceptional and go well.  I almost bought a new 944 when they came out, but thought I would lose it in a divorce.  I was right.  A 944 is a fragile car that is impossible to work on, looks real cool, hard to get in and out of and gets worst fuel economy than a well tuned muscle car.  It handles OK.  Understand that I come from thousands of miles well above 100 mph and sliding at those speeds.  You aren't going to slide a 944 well at speed unless it has more than 300 hp.  What it needs is a 300 hp Honda V6, a good transmission and better suspension.  Then it would be a world class car that would last 300,000 miles.  Why haven't I read Honda V6 conversions for this car?  For those that don't know, it is much more difficult to drive an under powered car than a car with plenty of power.  No comparison.  The above conversion needs to be made, rip out the rear seats, new electrical and a nice interior.  I am surprised that Porch made such a cheap interior and put their name on it.  Back more than 20 years ago I built and tuned a Carerra for a guy, and swore I would never touch one of those again.  Junk engine and impossible to work on.  I have done serious research on how to make this car worthy.  Its just that every time I dig in to something else on it, it is just a bigger pile of schmelly excrement.  If I had paid for all the work done on this car, it would be a $12,000.00 or so car.  And it needs paint.  No rust and no dents.  The tough stuff is done, and done to be a daily driver.  I took it early on to one Porsche place, and had to redo everything they did, and their charge was just under $1,000.00.  Horrible work by them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top