Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
87 S VERY Loud Knocking, Oil Pressure Drop (Read 1079 times)
SeanMcfly87

87 S VERY Loud Knocking, Oil Pressure Drop
Sep 19th, 2017 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Okay, so I just finished a huge amount of work on the fuel rail/injectors, upgraded the vacuum lines to the larger Lindsey Racing ones, and re-sealed the oil separator because I had lost a ton of low-end torque over the last few months, and by doing all of this, I think I isolated a VERY large problem in my engine that I didn't know I had.

The engine began to rattle a tad, but nothing too crazy. The next day, I took it out and the oil pressure dropped to 0, and the engine began to rattle and knock like crazy, and I lost almost all power. I immediately pulled the car over and got it towed to my mechanic, who's going to do a diagnostic look tomorrow. Still, I was wondering if you guys had any insight as to what might be causing this? It could be good to give him some 16v-specific points of interest to look at. Here's an attached video with the most intense knocking it's had. Also about a year ago, the car was running a bit soft in the 2 cylinders closest to the firewall. Here's hoping it's not too serious  Embarrassed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDj77m_8Mo&feature=youtu.be

1987 944 S Guards Red

IP Logged

XxSteve944onlinexX
944online Admin

Don't shoot the messenger.

Re: 87 S VERY Loud Knocking, Oil Pressure Drop
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Being that its a loud knock and your oil pressure dropped to zero I would guess that you spun a rod bearing likely #2. Damage will not be known until the pan is off to see if there was any damage to the crank journal. If your mechanic finds that you spun a rod bearing make sure to have the bearing journals measure with a micrometer before you replace the rod bearings. If the journal is damaged or out of spec it will be cheaper for you to find a good used crankshaft than it will be to have yours repaired.

Steven Manfre Sales Manager 1501 nw 22nd ct  #10 Pompano Beach,Fl 33069 Toll Free 866-944-7883 Local 954-968-3766 www.944online.com
IP Logged

wpittsley

Re: 87 S VERY Loud Knocking, Oil Pressure Drop
Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 1:25am
Print Post  
I'm sorry to read about your troubles.
That is one beautiful car! Hope it's not as bad as you fear.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top