Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Battery drain (Read 2415 times)
fono

DIATRIBE 944

Battery drain
Dec 18th, 2017 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
my battery wont keep a charge.How do i check to see if its a bad battery or alternator.1986 turbo.Thanks.

Hardcore Loud and in your face.
1985 Gold 944,1985 Black 944,1985.5 Crystal green 944.1986 Red 951 turbo.
IP Logged

MichaelW

Re: Battery drain
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:46am
Print Post  
Do the easy stuff first. Charge your battery up. A full charge shout be 12.7 volts, but the car will still star with low to mid 12s.

Start your car and then shut it off. Do the window switches still work after you, opened the door? If so, it’s probably either the left or right switches that are in the front side of the door opening. They are on the car’s. Key, not the door. They anre very small and round, and if one fails. It runs down the battery.

If that doen’t Seem like the problem, then remove the positive battery cable and put one lead of your voltmeter on the battery terminal, and the other lead on the batter cable end. Start pulling one fuse at a time until the voltage reads zero. When it goes to zero, you’ve found your electrical drain. It’s generally easier with two people, one to watch the meter, and one to pull fuses one by one. It’s tedious, but doesn’t take long with two people.

I hope that this helps!

IP Logged

MichaelW

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:49am
Print Post  
That shouldn’t say the the switch is on the car key. d**n autocorrect! It should say that the switch is in the car’s body at the front door post.

IP Logged

Andrew Bainbridge

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
@MichaelW - I have a battery drain problem on my car and my window switches continue to work when the doors are open. However, I can't see any small round switch on the A post. Is my car different to what you expect? Here's a picture:

IP Logged

MichaelW

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Ok, so it’s not round - it’s rectangular. I was trying to do it from memory and failed.

But anyway, in your photo, it’s the green thing. There is one screw to take out and the switch pops right out. Sometimes, you can clean it and get it to work again, but they’re cheap, so buy new ones if you want peace of mind.

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I am attaching a schematic of the two door switches and the luggage compartment switch with light. Fuse 11 in your electrical relay box should be tested first then the power routes through the luggage rack interior 3 position switch to right door then left door. Ground completes the circuit at left door. The interior light switch above the console is used to back feed the power to left then right door to accomplish dame circuit.

You might find testing using off or any position other than off and the door (either L or R) to determine if the short is occurring. Pulling the fuse until later when you get around to it should stop the power drain.
That fuse power cigarette lighter and buzzer circuits. So if your powering or charging your phone with that circuit it will leave you without a charge.

20180124_154057.jpg ( 962 KB | Downloads )
20180124_154057.jpg
20180124_160328.jpg ( 774 KB | Downloads )
20180124_160328.jpg

* Elmuh Fudd / Yosemite Sam... Duuude, I cawwed shotgun dipwomacy 3 minutes ago *

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Here is a schematic of window control relay fuse 4 (30 amp). The window control switches and the door switches may be different than the previous photo posted. Looks like the window control switches would be closer to the ones on the actual door rather them the A pillar.

20180125_082715.jpg ( 1071 KB | Downloads )
20180125_082715.jpg
20180125_082444.jpg ( 860 KB | Downloads )
20180125_082444.jpg

* Elmuh Fudd / Yosemite Sam... Duuude, I cawwed shotgun dipwomacy 3 minutes ago *

IP Logged

Quimo

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
when I checked my 86 turbo, I hooked up my multimeter and checked each fuse
it was the one for the cigarette lighter
my car charger was busted and draining too much power
as soon as I removed it from the socket, the drain dropped and now the car can stay at least 2 weeks and start right up

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Start the car, jumping it if necessary.  Use a voltmeter on the battery terminals.  Normal reading should be about 14.5 volts.  If it reads 12.5 or less, then the alternator is not working.  For these cars, it is usually the voltage regulator that goes bad.   It can be replaced separately instead of replacing the alternator.

To check for a dead battery, first put it on a charger for a few hours.  A voltmeter across the terminals with the car off should read 12.5 volts.

Most parts stores will also test the battery and the alternator for free if you bring them in.

Checking for a battery drain is different as mentioned in the previous posts.  If your battery and alternator are good, then you need to find out what is draining the battery when the car is off.  Typical drains are the clock (about 10 mAmps) and radio memory (about 30 mAmps).  Even these small ordinary drains are enough to kill a battery in a month.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top