Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Project 944 S newbie questions (Read 808 times)
Mr. Toasty

944 S hopeful and hopeless
idiot

Project 944 S newbie questions
Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Greetings, everyone. New guy here. As a brief introduction, I bought a 944 S about a month ago and made a couple dumb mistakes, which resulted in a fire totaling the car on the drive home (hence the screen name).

I'm now looking for a different 944 S, and I've found two complete-looking projects each about 21 hours and 1400 miles away from me (Omaha). One is in Phoenix, AZ, and the other is in Vernon, CT. Both are advertised as cranking but not running. Assuming the frame is straight, what are some things I should look for in a project 944 S? I'm planning to essentially rebuild the entire car with new rubber bits and updated/upgraded parts for spirited street use. I have some experience working on cars, so I'm not going in totally blind, just mostly blind.

My main questions are:
-are there areas of the frame/body that are prone to cracking or fatigue?
-are 944s ok to repair if the frame is slightly bent? I'm very reluctant to buy one with a bent frame, but if the community response is a resounding positive on this, I might consider it
-any sensors or relays that tend to throw in the towel after sitting for a couple years?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. I know enough to ask those with more experience than I, but I'm not going to imply any further qualification than that! I've already gotten a lot of info from stalking this forum (and others), but I know there's so much more to learn once I get my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance!!

IP Logged

Jay Wellwood

Re: Project 944 S newbie questions
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
If the frame is bent, or you suspect it is, you should have a reputable body shop evaluate the car.

IP Logged

TibetanT

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: Project 944 S newbie questions
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Hello There:

If you are still looking for a drivable 1987 944S, I have one available for $6,200.00 or OBO.    I am in Washington State near Spokane, WA.
Fly out here, and drive home with it.
Guards Red and Black interior.    It has a very nice dash, no cracks.  The driver's seat has a small tear.   Over all very fast car with LSD transmission.
If you would like some pictures, email me at   edward_paquette@hotmail.com

Good luck with your search…BTW, don't buy a Porsche that is not running and you cannot drive it.  UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE A LOTTERY WINNER.

Ed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top