Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Preparing to be Reunited with my 84 944 (Read 1239 times)
Raz

Its a Porsche!

Preparing to be Reunited with my 84 944
Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Ladies and Gents,

It's been quite some time since I last posted here or even reached out to some of the members.

Quick synopsis of my situation - Moved from Fort Collins, Colorado to Cincinnati, Ohio (NKY area) in 2013 for graduate school. Before the move, I prepped the 944 with a new timing belt kit/water pump and we also restored it to its former glory. What a stunner, I think I posted a few pics on here.

In 2014, I lent my car to my roommate who had a health emergency while he was driving, needless to say, the car was involved in a slight issue when he pulled off the road. He scraped what I believe was a rock which messed up my front spoiler along with pushing the bottom of the radiator back a bit. The radiator hose was rubbing the fan blade and coolant was leaking.   

I had 0 connections in the NKY area at this time, and the body shop was quoting me 6k to fix it. Insurance did not think it was worth putting the money into it. I got all the money for it after I showed them receipts of the restoration and kept the car. Since some surface rust was appearing on the car and I was living in an apt complex with no covered parking, I decided to ship her back to Colorado. When it was shipped back, my mechanic fixed the front spoiler, inspected the radiator, replaced the radiator hose and found no other damage present. The car ran smoothly. She still runs smoothly, I drive her whenever I am back visiting Colorado. 

Fast forward to this day and age, 2018. I have since graduated and bought a house in Cincinnati. I am ready to bring her back and be reunited with her, I have missed her so much. She has approximately 156k (I think) miles on her. She has been sitting and driven occasionally. I think only 3k miles have been added to her since I shipped her back the summer of 2014.

Thus, I need help figuring out what all I need to replace on her due to age. I looked at Ian's parts catalog, seems like the 944 Water Pump Kit 83-88 2.5 Stage 3 will be a start.

I will also be replacing the drive belt, and putting new fluids in her.

The A/C no longer blows cold (r12 unit), I am going to convert it to R134. Is there anything special involved I should be aware of before ordering the kit?

Last I checked, the vacuum lines seems pretty tip top (no leaks).

Does anyone have any other recommendations? It's been a while since I have researched 944s, I am excited to come back to the game.

Cheers,
Raz

1984 Porsche 944 &&1989 Dodge Raider 4X4

IP Logged

CW 951
Experienced Member

Back in the game!

Re: Preparing to be Reunited with my 84 944
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
It sounds like you have a good plan. Ask Ian about the A/C conversion stuff, he will guide you in the right direction.

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Stage 3 kit is a great start. It will address 95% of the potential issues.
Just did the same to my car. 280,000mi so far.

The only other thing you might want to do is the top end re-build and head gasket repair..
( I space jobs like that out over time).

Otherwise, enjoy the car. As long as you keep up on repairs, it will run a long time.

I live in norther Ohio. I know there are some guys in the Cinci/Dayton area with 944's.

If you are ever up this way, open invitation to stop by and see my collection of cars and parts..

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Raz

Its a Porsche!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Awesome, thanks for the advice, fellas.

As for the top end rebuild, not yet. The transmission is starting to make a high pitched noise which will need to be addressed in future, then as we climb up on the miles, top end will be next. Too scary to think about it right now.

Cant wait to get it here and check the cars and coffee events and start making connections.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

pfarah77
Experienced Member

84 NA, It will be brand
new when I'm done!

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2018 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Welcome back.
That high pitch whining sound your hearing may be the transaxle or possibly a worn bearing in the torque tube. At +150K miles, it would be a great time to replace the four bearings.

Have fun with the car!

Patrick

IP Logged

Raz

Its a Porsche!

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2020 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Finally back in the game. It was delivered to me Wednesday April 29th. Almost 2 years since I started this post. Man, what an expensive 2 years.

Went through the whole kit and kaboodle with this one. Clutch, torque tube, oil pan gasket, motor mounts, timing belt, water pump, fuel line, AC conversion and several other small things to get her back in shape.

Took her out for a 50 mile drive and it drove great. The 2nd gear crunches a little bit if speed shifting otherwise it's nice to finally have it back. Time to enjoy the car again. There is just nothing like it on the road.

Special thanks to the 944online team, they spent time with me on the phone and several email exchanges to get the parts needed. Thanks, Steve and Ian. You guys are great.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top