Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13  Send TopicPrint
 25 Rough Life Wilson (Read 23512 times)
Noah
Experienced Member

Re: Rough Life Wilson
Reply #165 - May 2nd, 2019 at 12:22pm
Print Post  

Maybe one day I will buy a crank driven vacuum for the crankcase but until then I bought K and N. GREAT FAST SERVICE to Canada straight from the company's website.I measured carefully and it's the only one that will work for this. I am trying to deal with blowby.

non-purist retro-grouch with questionable taste

IP Logged

mazdaverx7
Experienced Member

have 944, will restore

Reply #166 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Should work pretty well! Keep up the good work!

85.2 944 Guards Red M456 5spd
06 BMW 330xi 6spd
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd
04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
80 RX-7 LS Solar Gold 5spd
85 RX-7 GS Ocean Blue 5spd
88 RX-7 10th Anniversary 5spd
86 Corvette Grey 4spd, 01 MR2 Spyder 5spd
63 Ford Falcon 99K I6 3spd,

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #167 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
THANKS for the support, homes!

Wilson is back. Feels crazy crazy good to say that. Got the "baller on a budget" GT conversion with some sweet LED headlights in. Got my turbo drainage issues fixed. Last night I drove about 60 miles... and stomped on it a few times. This car sounds nasty (but in a good way). Got a taste of 6 pounds boost so far. If anyone has any SUCCESSFUL 2.5l tuning maps, hook a brother up would ya?

IP Logged

JBCB944
Experienced Member

Excuse me stewardess,
I speak jive....

Reply #168 - May 7th, 2019 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
This has been a great thread to follow!  Keep up the awesome work!

82 Volkswagen Scirocco *R.I.P. dear friend*, 02 GMC YukonXL, 05 Volvo XC90, 85.5 Porsche 944 N/A, 16 GMC 2500HD Sierra, 16 Cheverolet Suburban

IP Logged

Bob_85.5

Slower traffic keep right

Reply #169 - May 8th, 2019 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
I totally agree that this is an awesome build, Noah!
So glad to hear that the smile is back after a bleak time many months ago...
I was thinking about your comments a while back about removing the rear wing (and seeing the mounting brackets still in place in a photo or 2), and remembered this site:
https://www.battleaero.com/collections/components
If you cruise through the site (even if it's really not geared towards us Porsche people), you will see that their wing kits have either a top and bottom horizontal rod or double diagonal rods between the wing supports to keep the system from racking side to side.
I think you could add something similar to your wing supports for added stiffness.
Should be easy enough for you to drill 2 small holes in each upright, grab two lengths of threaded rod, 8 washers, and 8 nuts to see if it works...
If it solves the problem, you can then make up something more attractive than a threaded rod...

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #170 - May 9th, 2019 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Darn you guys give me a reason to keep ramblin' Tongue
Love you guys & thanks for the props! Bob, you bring up a good suggestion. I'm sticky with the stock spoiler unless i'm running say 300+ hp. So will re-visit the wing concept.

I did however experience like 250 hp unexpectedly yesterday! Cheesy

Got permission to bring Wilson in the shop to charge the A/C. But found the compressor clutch isn't engaging & the heater blows hot. When I press the AC button the voltmeter doesn't drop (like it used to when the clutch engaged), so need to troubleshoot. Was hoping to maybe take the car on a 9 hour road trip for mothers day this weekend, but can't if its blowing heat.

Also. HOLY SH***** I experienced 12 lbs of boost! Which I dunno might be like 15 lbs with a stock 944 turbo. So that means the Greddy controller responds to my input & the system works. The car just pulls, but then when I go 3/4-WOT I get possibly detonation and the knock sensor de-rates the engine or external waste-gate "screamer pipe" opening... I have no idea what is going on, because if feels like I hit a wall but it's below the 6750 fuel cut, and I can felt a jolt and forward acceleration slows momentarily. If I press the accelerator slowly,, then this happens less, it's when I press quickly that it occurs. The car is too rich and needs proper tuning so I backed off the boost. BUT WHAT A FEELING!

And I ditched the rally car/muscle car brake booster pump. It worked good, but now I'm plumbed in normal. Brakes feel the same.

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #171 - May 13th, 2019 at 2:50am
Print Post  

Today was the first day of datalogging. It was also the first day of almost 13 lbs of boost. I was running 94 octane and a bottle of octane booster in the tank. No intercooler.
Based on driving this week, I was experience what I think was mis-fires with low (5 -7 lbs boost), on straight 92 octane gas and they were quite violent! So as a troubleshooting tool I upped the octane to see if it would go away & sure enough, today I could have cranked up the boost even more, as you can see the knock detection was zero. But, I suspect the tuning needs to be improved & that the octane booster is just a band-aid. One concern I have is at peak boost the ignition is retarded 22 degrees, but at 1 inch of Vac and even 4 lbs of boost the spark is retarded 32 degrees, should it not be max ignition retard at max boost and less retard during these other moments? My goal is to not have to use octane booster.

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #172 - May 13th, 2019 at 3:59am
Print Post  

Its been a fantasy of mine to order McDonalds food through the drive thru in Wilson for like 5 years. I can now take that off the wish list. Last night almost midnight we were charging up and down the hills in the blackness of the foothills on an incredible road, these LED headlight are AMAZING! Then today after a drive, my throttle cable broke but fortunately my friends kid gave me the brake cable from his BMX bike & we were able to drive home.

IP Logged

mazdaverx7
Experienced Member

have 944, will restore

Reply #173 - May 14th, 2019 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I have to ask, anything special about ordering drive thru in this particular 944?

Awesome that you were able to make a bmx cable work as a throttle cable!!

85.2 944 Guards Red M456 5spd
06 BMW 330xi 6spd
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd
04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
80 RX-7 LS Solar Gold 5spd
85 RX-7 GS Ocean Blue 5spd
88 RX-7 10th Anniversary 5spd
86 Corvette Grey 4spd, 01 MR2 Spyder 5spd
63 Ford Falcon 99K I6 3spd,

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #174 - May 27th, 2019 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
MAZDARX7,
The fact the windows come down allowed me to order. The gutted doors used to be fixed shut, so no drive thru.

-----

Making this aluminum ducting for the condenser/intercooler/rad

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #175 - May 30th, 2019 at 4:24am
Print Post  

Just about done the front air dam.

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #176 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 12:19pm
Print Post  

Last night: Drove the car finally.
It was a lot more crisp after minor tuning & large intercooler install with both fans engaged instead of just one! This car is actually FAST.
It's actually electric. Its so intense.

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #177 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 12:44am
Print Post  

Since the first set of datalogs I have lowered fuel rate 6% leaner. But still suffer from absurd rich AFR issues when throttle opens up at around 3/4+. Next plan is to redo the accelerator enhancement and re-test.
Other changes since the first post:
- the day's temp was cooler
- I wired up both radiator fans to kick on at the same time rather than one.
- I built ducting or "air dam" around the rad.
- Changed antifreeze percent to 70 from 50.
- I added a front mounted intercooler.
- The tank was full of 94 octane and no octane booster
It was very interesting to experience that the car felt fast & I was surprised how quick it was considering the lower boost levels.
Perhaps this is a result of being a cooler air charge? Today I also noticed just a wee bit of knock (yellow) indicated below. This was very minor (I think because it wasn't detectable to the driver).

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #178 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Its 3 am on Monday my day off and I woke up to work on Wilson. The turbo I had died due to oil starvation and I am caressing the replacement in place. I have read several forum threads online regarding the use of oil restrictors on the feed line and concluded it is vehicle specific (based on turbo bearing type, oil pressure). I have been running a restrictor seen here, but have since drilled through) and going to use a regulator to regulator flow & pressure instead. I think I am going to feed enough oil until it leaks through the turbo seal & then regulate one "click" smaller. I have a 1/4" hole drilled one the downpipe before the cat which will allow oil to drill out and this will be my indicator of "too much".

IP Logged

T_Ryan.
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #179 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 10:18am
Print Post  
is it possible to tap into the oil galley between the oil pump and the over pressure release valve and leave the restrictor in place?

on the Mercedes w123 diesels, the drain is what would restrict the flow, even though it was a straight tube into the sump. with age it would coke up with baked oil after shut down.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top