Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Odometer gear replacement (Read 840 times)
wpittsley

Odometer gear replacement
May 28th, 2018 at 1:38am
Print Post  
Hi everyone,

I'm partway through an attempt at a gear replacement. Odometer gears.com explicitly states to not pry straight up to remove the speedometer needle, but I watched a video where the person working on a cluster did just that. Pelican advises to pry up on the needle as well.
Should I or should I not?

IP Logged

JBCB944
Experienced Member

Excuse me stewardess,
I speak jive....

Re: Odometer gear replacement
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Have you checked to see what is suggested in clarks-garage.com (a resource very popular here)

82 Volkswagen Scirocco *R.I.P. dear friend*, 02 GMC YukonXL, 05 Volvo XC90, 85.5 Porsche 944 N/A, 16 GMC 2500HD Sierra, 16 Cheverolet Suburban

IP Logged

XxSteve944onlinexX
944online Admin

Don't shoot the messenger.

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
When I replace odometer gears on any Porsche speedometer I have always pulled straight up on the needle to remove it. If there is any side to side movement you will break the shaft that the needle rides on.

I have always rotated the needle past the stop while applying pressure upwards. The needle will pop off the shaft into your hand with very little effort.

Steven Manfre Sales Manager 1501 nw 22nd ct  #10 Pompano Beach,Fl 33069 Toll Free 866-944-7883 Local 954-968-3766 www.944online.com
IP Logged

wpittsley

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2018 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Had to sweat it out a bit, it came off with more resistance than I expected. Used a mini flat bar with a cushion on the speedo face.
All back together (with an impromptu lighting upgrade), ready for a test drive tomorrow.
Several nervous moments on this particular project!

IP Logged

wpittsley

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2018 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Think I have bigger problems now. Started hard, idles poorly and runs rough at lower RPMs.
Was running well before the odometer gear broke.

Did I fry something when I had the cluster out?

Oh, and the speedometer doesn't work now either- as if it's either not getting power from the circuit board or I missed a pin on re-installation.

Sigh.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top