Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 Severe lack of power (for 15 minutes after start) (Read 5377 times)
Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Re: Severe lack of power (for 15 minutes after start)
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
One common vacuum leak that is very difficult to see or detect is the bottom of the first rib of the J-boot.  At idle, the crack may be sealed but any engine movement will open it up.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

C00lSub4ru

Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I looked for that with the j boot removed, definitely no cracks.

I have been burning tons of oil for years.  Could the catalytic converter be clogged with oil residue?  Maybe that’s why it clears up when I drive it on the highway.

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2019 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
that's easy enough to test.  loud but easy.  just disconnect the pipe and run it.

I have heard of people "washing" their cats to try to get the oil out of them.  I don't know how successful that is if you don't also address the oil issue.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley

IP Logged

KGB

Reply #18 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I'm certainly not an expert on this topic, but after going through my throttle body recently and the TPS, seems like that could be a possibility.  The butterfly on my throttle body was NOT opening and closing smoothly especially the first little bit of movement.  The TPS has wiggle room to adjust and the throttle body itself has two places to adjust the butterfly/air mixture..... just a thought.  Seems like the issues end-up being something pretty simple once they're discovered and corrected.  Good luck.  KB

2017 Chevrolet SS, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2, 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Z71, 1987 Porsche 944 S  "That thing got outta here in a hurry."-Crash Davis

IP Logged

C00lSub4ru

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2019 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
So I sent it in about a month ago.  They flow tested the exhaust, catalytic converter isn't clogged.  They checked all the sensors were reading correctly, and cleaned the grounds.  The throttle body opens smoothly.  They suggested I send the ECU back, Specialized ECU bench tested it, and said it was good. I think that covers every idea I've had so far.

My garage is good they specialize in European cars.  They said the next thing to do is check the entire wiring loom and sensor cables for corrosion and possible shorts.  It's a big job they have to take off the intake manifold, but I did repair some cracked wires behind the speed/ref sensor last year so there could be more.

It's so weird because when I repaired those wires it ran great for like 3 months and then the problem reappeared in the exact same way.

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #20 - May 28th, 2019 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
You could try putting in new orings for the AOS.  That might be the oil issue.  Leaky seals there will cause oil in the throttle body as well as a vacuum leak.

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
So, when you play and touch things, it works for a while, then falls back into poor running eventually.

That really sounds like a bad connnection somwhere.
you touch or wiggle it and it's good for a while.
Given time, it corrodes and degrades giving bad readings.

Things that can be affected by poor connections:
Temp sensor(s).
TPS (throttle position switch)
AFM

I would install a fuel pressure gage (even if only temporary) to ensure fuel pressure is correct under all driving conditions.

After that, I would do as your mechanic recommended and inspect every connnection for the: TPS, AFM, and temp sensors.
These are all low voltage, analog sensors that can be thrown off calibration by a failing connections.

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
You could also try this:
Play with the wires to the temp sensor, then drive it. See if it changes how it runs.
Do the same for each sensor I have listed above.... one at a time to see if it affects how the car runs.
If you suddenly fix the problem by wiggling something, you can find it real fast like.

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

darrellsp

Reply #23 - May 30th, 2019 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I have been burning tons of oil for years.

Lots of good suggestions mentioned already. I have to say that I would be really concerned if the car is burning lots of oil for years!

That's a major problem Angry

89 944 n/a
Baltimore Maryland

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top