Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Would changing clutch blow the clutch master cyl? (Read 1500 times)
Charlie0328

Would changing clutch blow the clutch master cyl?
Dec 21st, 2018 at 4:52am
Print Post  
This on my 1987 944s.

Anyone out there ever experienced clutch pedal issues after installing a new clutch?

I bled the system worked better for a few, but then started sticking down again.

Think the master may be gone. I have no leaks in the slave and it bled, but am thinking it may have air in it again.

I suppose I should rebuild the slave with the kit and replace the master?

Any suggestions anyone?

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Re: Would changing clutch blow the clutch master cyl?
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
The master and/or the slave can leak air into the system before they start leaking fluid out.  Air is what makes the pedal stay down.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

Charlie0328

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Re-bled again, pedal came back...took off bleeder, sat in car and repeatedly depressed pedal. After about 50 or 75 pumps, pedal went away again....no fluid loss, so I think it confirms bad master.

Thanks for the reply...fix one thing, something else breaks....ugh.

IP Logged

944s_ct

AFAP Racing

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
I had my master cyl start leaking on the inside of the car, i chose to do eveything master/slave/lines/hose..

I bled and bled and bled.. My pedal kept dropping and i needed to put my foot under it to pull it back up for the last inch of travel.

Gave up and let it sit. Went to take it for a ride 2 months later and everything is working as it should  Shocked..

This area of the car is not simple..

1987 944S Guards Red - Project Fun Car

IP Logged

ADT-944

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2020 at 4:34am
Print Post  
I have replaced masters and slaves several times in the last 25 years.  Sometimes I think the master is the problem only to discover it's really the slave.  Sometimes I changed an obviously failed master only to change the slave a couple of months later.  Once I changed an obviously leaking slave only to change the master a couple of months later.  So, if you change the master just go ahead and change the slave at the SAME time.  That's what I did last week.

ADT944 '88 944 Celebration Edition

IP Logged

XxSteve944onlinexX
944online Admin

Don't shoot the messenger.

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2020 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
it is very important when bleeding the clutch cylinders to release some tension on the clutch pedal clevis to allow to valve in the master to fully open and close.

I would recommend checking the clutch hoses between the cylinders. If you bled them and they held pressure but after 75 pumps you had air again makes it sound like you have some pinholes in either the rubber portion of the hose or the metal part.

Also if you plan on rebuilding your slave I would recommend taking it apart first before ordering the kit because if your cylinder has any pitting inside the seal kit will not last very long if it seals at all.

Steven Manfre Sales Manager 1501 nw 22nd ct  #10 Pompano Beach,Fl 33069 Toll Free 866-944-7883 Local 954-968-3766 www.944online.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top