Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
 10 86 944 engine starts and then dies (Read 4250 times)
Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Re: 86 944 engine starts and then dies
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Will it stay running as long as you spray starter fluid into the intake?  If so, that would indicate everything but the fuel flow is ok.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

einar944

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
After a lot of testing I finally found the problem, The hose from the ignition sensor to the intake manifold - under the intake - was loose and cracked.  Did you know the car will start without the AFM or the Throttle sensor connected - mine did and it runs rough.  I still have a fee issues to workout, but now on a better track.  Thanks for all the information.

Einar

IP Logged

einar944

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2019 at 12:35am
Print Post  
So I have the car running.  It does idle but a little rough, might be old gas which I plan to address in the next few days.  I did replace the AFM and the idle improved.  I had the o2  disconnected at first but plugged it back in during idle with a little improvement.  I'm getting a little popping in the exhaust manifold,  I can accelerate the engine slowly and I am hearing a ticking sound under the intake manifold.  Any ideas or suggestions on what may be going on?

IP Logged

princej

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
einar944 wrote on Mar 18th, 2019 at 4:39pm:
After a lot of testing I finally found the problem, The hose from the ignition sensor to the intake manifold - under the intake - was loose and cracked.  Did you know the car will start without the AFM or the Throttle sensor connected - mine did and it runs rough.  I still have a fee issues to workout, but now on a better track.  Thanks for all the information.

Einar

hi, im very glad your making progress.

can you please tell me what hose you are talking about? I am trying to diagnose a similar issue on my 87 NA.

IP Logged

Mohamsta

Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I am having similar problems, but my car will stay running if I hold the throttle open and run about 2000 rpm.

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #20 - Jul 16th, 2019 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Mohamsta wrote on Jul 15th, 2019 at 4:31pm:
I am having similar problems, but my car will stay running if I hold the throttle open and run about 2000 rpm.

Your problem sounds like a big vacuum leak.  Leaks are less impactful at higher rpms.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top