Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Pop up headlights & aero researched (Read 869 times)
Noah
Experienced Member

Pop up headlights & aero researched
Mar 22nd, 2019 at 5:45pm
Print Post  

non-purist retro-grouch with questionable taste

IP Logged

Bob_85.5

Slower traffic keep right

Re: Pop up headlights & aero researched
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
That's an interesting read.
I was a little surprised that it amounted to "only" 6% additional drag - the area of the headlights add a lot to the area of the nose.
It was also interesting to see that it also affected underbody air flow when the lights were up.
The reality is that this means little to us when going around the town at night but in an endurance race, it will have an impact on top speed - assuming that you can see far enough at night with those anemic Porsche lights to dare to plant your foot that hard to the floor!    Grin
I wonder what the numbers would say about those 944 rally cars with all the extra driving lights tacked on the nose - going into a stiff breeze the car should start to go backward!
I'm going to do a little research into the 944 CAD drawing also - I'd love to have that as a screen saver on my AutoCAD...

IP Logged

Noah
Experienced Member

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Brother, if you have been disappointed with your headlights or dashlights, have you considered the 944 Online update kits? Both made a huge HUGE improvement in my car. The instrument cluster I used is not the LED, but just the reflective material replacement kit. The headlight kit turns what normally is your headlight power into headlight relay signal (so it reduces chance of fire due to light switch burning). I ran 100/80w bulbs in new headlights *and* 200watt (I think)worth of rally lights -rules were 2 on at low beam and 2 on at high beam. They weren't as bright as the guys with the led light bars on their hoods but still worked very well.

non-purist retro-grouch with questionable taste

IP Logged

slinger569
Experienced Member

89 Turbo

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 11:37am
Print Post  

Very interesting read.

Thanks for sharing Noah

Dave
84 n/a - sold
89 Turbo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top