Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1986 944 restoration. (Read 1432 times)
Taycon4

1986 944 restoration.
May 1st, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone, brand new to the forum!
So let's get right to it. I have a very solid, absolutely zero rust(even in the battery compartment!) 86' 944 that I picked up for a good deal and on a whim. Have had many ideas of what I'd like to it. Now a little history, I love to tinker and work on all aspects of Porsches, having moderate depression, this has been the best antidepressant ever! Friends and family haven't seen me this excited and happy for years! Sorry about the TMI.
So I'm gonna do a complete restoration (yes it will cost much more than it will ever be worth, I don't care) I will be completely restoring the interior and exterior, but the mechanics will be first. Few questions, I've read everywhere about increasing Power, from LS1 swaps, to VR6's and such. What I would like to do is swap a 944 turbo from 87 on I realize that I'll have to change out the transmission/transfer case, any ECU/computers etc. But other than that it's hard for me to find any other hindrance to doing this? The engine will be completely rebuilt with moderate to high performance parts and internals, same as the tranny/transfer. I don't know if I should do a LSD? I want to take as little away from the driving experience, but with a little more uummff.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! TIA! Glad to be here!

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: 1986 944 restoration.
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2019 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Wow, cool project.. Welcome.. I too am a project car/therapy kind of guy. I have accumulated many cars over the years. Each one gets me thru hard times..

The payoff is not in dollars, but rewards in driving something you build with your own hands...
That never gets old...

On the trans, LSD is not required. Most folks desire this and it helps with road racing (prevents one wheel spins when powering out of a turn), but it can also toss the rear end out on you un-expectedly. So be ready for the LSD driving experience.

If find open diff's just fine.
My Drag car has NO diff. I used to drive it on the street. NOT possible in the rain.
LSD is nice as long as you drive easy on it. The minute you hammer it, it acts like a spool and will throw the rear end around. You gotta be ready or you will wreck.
No thanks for me...

I leave race cars at the race track. Street cars on the street.

Me personally, I do not like the LS or VR6 swaps. While they are great and offer tons of reliable HP, they are not really a Porsche any more.

I would much rather do a turbo, or "S" swap and keep the originality of the car.
An "S" conversion would be the sweetest conversion IMO.
They make lots of power, they sound fantastic. They repond well to intake/exh upgrades. A Chip will add lots of HP too.

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Ky951
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2019 at 6:49pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

mazdaverx7
Experienced Member

have 944, will restore

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2019 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I personally do not like engine swaps on these cars. They are so well balanced and they run and drive amazing!! They are extremely reliable if properly maintained and are an absolute joy to own. Would love to see pictures of your 944! Welcome to the 944 world!

85.2 944 Guards Red M456 5spd
06 BMW 330xi 6spd
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd
04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
80 RX-7 LS Solar Gold 5spd
85 RX-7 GS Ocean Blue 5spd
88 RX-7 10th Anniversary 5spd
86 Corvette Grey 4spd, 01 MR2 Spyder 5spd
63 Ford Falcon 99K I6 3spd,

IP Logged

Cambo

Porsche, there is no substitute.

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2019 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
How's the restoration going? Any questions or comments about your findings?

87 944 N/A 5 speed
06 Honda Element 4WD 5 speed (for sale)
14 Honda Accord Sport 6 speed
19 Ford F-150 ecoboost

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top