Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Camshaft Sprocket retaining bolt removal (Read 1582 times)
jeffd

Camshaft Sprocket retaining bolt removal
May 10th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Is there any reason i cannot crack loose the bolt holding the camshaft sprocket on before i lock the crankshaft and take off the belt?  I'm trying to minimize the risk that i may rotate the camshaft trying to crack this bolt loose. Its on there pretty good.  Everything i read says to lock crank remove belt etc.. 1st.

The intent is just to crack the bolt loose without worrying shoulld the camshaft rotate during the process and having the valves move hitting the pistons.  Obviously once i crack it loose i will set tdc and lock the crank before removing belt  etc..

IP Logged

mazdaverx7
Experienced Member

have 944, will restore

Re: Camshaft Sprocket retaining bolt removal
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2019 at 10:27am
Print Post  
You should never have to loosen the camshaft gear's retaining bolt or remove the camshaft gear during a timing belt change. Once the crankshaft is locked, that cam gear can move a little without worrying about valve contact with the pistons. I use that bolt to turn the gear a half a tooth to help take slack out of the belt. The valves won't just drop and slam into the pistons if the cam gear moves. Slight movement of the gear is normal during a belt replacement.

85.2 944 Guards Red M456 5spd
06 BMW 330xi 6spd
04 RX-8 Brilliant Black 6spd
04 RX-8 Nordic Green 6spd
80 RX-7 LS Solar Gold 5spd
85 RX-7 GS Ocean Blue 5spd
88 RX-7 10th Anniversary 5spd
86 Corvette Grey 4spd, 01 MR2 Spyder 5spd
63 Ford Falcon 99K I6 3spd,

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2019 at 12:17am
Print Post  
+1 on that bolt has nothing to do with changing the timing belts.

You loosen the belt by loosen the nut on the offset rollers that adjust tension.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

KeithU2

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2019 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
1. Welcome!
2. What they said. Based on what little info we have in your question, I cannot imagine any good reason to loosen the crank bolt. I can think of a lot of good reasons not to.

'83 that kinda came in a box

IP Logged

T_Ryan.
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
if you want to replace the seals, that would require removing the sprockets. best time to do this is when you change the belt.

the cam has a spot to place a wrench to counter.

my method is to lightly tap a triple square xzn bit into the cam bolt on a two foot breaker bar pointing to 2 o'clock. (it must be seated and this isn't the place to use a cheap bit) place your counter wrench on the cam where it points to 11ish.

with both wrenches in place, hold the bit with your left hand and the counter with your right hand as you push the breaker bar with your shoulder.

the bolt does strip sometimes so its best to have a spare.

IP Logged

SactoJohn
Experienced Member

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2019 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Spray a little PB Blaster around that bolt too, let it sit for awhile, tap the bit with a hammer, spray it a little more, then it should be easy to loosen unless your car sat outside in bad weather for 30 years. After reading all the horror stories about that bolt I was prepared for a hard time, but it was really easy to remove. Luckily, my car has almost always been stored indoors or in very mild weather.

IP Logged

Catellus Engineering

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2019 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Counterhold the cam shaft.  It should have flats on it you can use with a wrench.

Kevin
Catellus Engineering, Inc.
catelluseng@gmail.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top