Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
stalling (Read 1045 times)
Brainiac

stalling
Jun 14th, 2019 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Hi Boys and Girls...This is a problem that started about 6 weeks ago, and luckily it seems that it was a simple fix....like I said about six weeks ago I was at a store about 25 miles from my home and driving my 84...when I left the store, it started fine as it always does...but after driving about 300 feet it stalled...started right up again and stalled again...this occurred for at least 7 or 8 cycles...It had me reaching for my insurance card for a tow home, but then it was fine...started and ran with no issues...no problems for a month and then it happened again, but not quite as bad...two weeks go by and all is good...but yesterday it started stalling at intersections and after arriving home on my street it had fits of stalling...and while driving I could tell it was wanting to cut out several times...today I checked all of my vacuum lines, they are all new with new fittings...all seemed tight...but then I started checking my plug/coil wires on a whim  (all new with a new coil and plugs as of March)...the coil wire at the coil was corroded like I could not believe....blue oxidization to a degree that I could understand why in such a short time...I used dielectric grease at all the connections, and except for the coil wire they all looked great...anyway, using a file, wire brush and electrical contact cleaner seems to have cured the problem...no more stalling...but how could this happen? It is a good tight rubber seal, and I can't fathom how water could get in there...This car has never had a splash shield ( about six years now for my ownership) but something with dissimilar metals and water is going on...any thoughts?...I did have a few instances of driving in hard rainfall, but there at the coil it seems to be well out of the way of the weather...

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: stalling
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Electrical arcing will do that..

I completely eroded away a rotor in about a week of driving. The carbon button in the cap wore out and started arcing on the rotor. the rotor didn't last long before it completely fell apart.

Our cars have "high energy" ignitions.
This means that the while the spark voltage is a bit higher than old school ignitions. It also means that the amperage is much higher. As such, any arcing will act like a welder and erode material real fast.
When this happens, it crates Ozone. Ozone will oxidize anything real fast like.
So, even thou you had it all sealed up, it was arcing inside there.

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Brainiac

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 2:46am
Print Post  
...….thanks for the reply...you are very knowledgeable...do you think there is anything that can be done to help with this....I have cleaned the coil wire again ( last week) and so far so good...I did use dielectric grease initially with the new coil, but last week when I cleaned it again, I did not use it...

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Thanks..
Best to replace all arched up items.
Once they corrode up and get hot, they are never the same.

it will eventually come back.

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top