Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Interesting development that you might like... (Read 1614 times)
T.H.A.D.D.E.U.S
Experienced Member

Interesting development that you might like...
Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:57am
Print Post  
My 1983 944, with only 45k on the clock is mint...but, for years, I ran into lots of issues of intermittent no-starts, only to have it start on the 3rd or 4th crank.  *AHEM*

3 months ago, a gas station, just outside of Austin started selling Ethanol-free gas.  I was almost dry, so I ran her out, and filled the tank.  Afterwards, I stopped off and picked up some Sta-Bil.  Granted, I only start the car on weekends, let her get to temp, then shut her off.  Once every 2-3 months, I might actually drive her.

Point:  For the last 3 months, my car not only starts on the first crank... she starts faster than ever.  My car is as close to mint as it gets... nothing has changed over the last year, other than maybe 500 miles and the ethanol-free fuel.  Your thoughts?

83 Guards Red 944
11 Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition

If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you're gone.

IP Logged

T.H.A.D.D.E.U.S
Experienced Member

Re: Interesting development that you might like...
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 2:44am
Print Post  
220 views and NO ONE has *anything* to say on the subject?

83 Guards Red 944
11 Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition

If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you're gone.

IP Logged

pfarah77
Experienced Member

84 NA, It will be brand
new when I'm done!

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Ummmm...  Smiley
Actually, I'm happy that your buggy is driving well.

Patrick

IP Logged

T_Ryan.
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
co-op sells three grades of 100%. if I am low, I put one gallon of corn in to make it there.

I was told by a marine mechanic that the grey stabilizer is better than the redish stuff. he deals with issues from varnished fuel a bunch.

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
After your June 30th post I looked up any reason 'ethonol pushed by retailers?'
Answer came back with positives:
Sellers of ethonol based fuel receive tax incentives from government sponsored program or legislative tabled deferments for tax credits... Reason given was cleaner environment acknowledgement.
The article I read did not tie their findings to other environmental enforcement or national codes like possible code requirements based on supportive studies depletion % of 19% oxygenated atmospheric breathable air when not selling ethanol based gas up to E85.
I must believe a break even E15 or whatever is the basis of manufacturing standard and the catalitic metallic cleanup used in fluidic catalitic combustion cracker units industry wide is promoted as incentive to manufactures to spend the money to sell it must be a windfall for big business but that is conjecture on my part so I dropped looking into it further.
So in short performance of race fuel or other boost manufactured type of fuel would be a place to further a recommended use of.
Point: Side pipes may offer better performance of combustion based motors but then where does the stations doing inspection for exhaust converters go? It is a round robin of tax incentives is my guess for alternative fuels.

Caveat: IRS form 8911 might be an incentive to open a business property if they wish to profit from alternative fuels. Rub the 'genie' lamp and get rich quick.

* Elmuh Fudd / Yosemite Sam... Duuude, I cawwed shotgun dipwomacy 3 minutes ago *

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I have a friend that says her Corvette does not run properly unless she uses Chevron.  I always thought it was a tuning issue.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Guy at work Ford F150 reports same as Dave W Chevron their additive cleans my injectors fabulous forgot: name of 1 Techron I believe
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2019 at 12:04pm by anchor »  

ethanol_basics.pdf ( 545 KB | 8 Downloads )
emission-factors_mar_2018_0.pdf ( 354 KB | 6 Downloads )

* Elmuh Fudd / Yosemite Sam... Duuude, I cawwed shotgun dipwomacy 3 minutes ago *

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2019 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Ethanol plants to cut outputs on poor margins.

Evidently from successful farming url has just updated sentiment felt on the marketplace price structure for fuel regulations in the USA.

The % factors are 40% export for corn is doing badly another 30% is the drop in margins due to over- supply.

Entire business units for processing ethanol are being sold or shutdown according to the article read this morning.

IP Logged

SactoJohn
Experienced Member

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, no ethanol free fuel in CA. I had a 280z with similar fuel injection system, but a rail that was right over the intake and exhaust under that. Whenever I drove and parked for over 10 minutes it was hard to get the vaporized fuel flushed through and the car running good, especially in the hot summer. A friend of mine has the same problem with his.  Ethanol vaporizes at a lower temperature so the older cars won't necessarily run as well. If you have any pressure leaks it can cause this problem too since the boiling point is less at lower pressure.

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Very likely your old fuel injectors are/were plugged up from sitting so long. The Ethanol wasn't helping.
Change to fuel that can actually clean the injectors, and likely see a difference very quickly.

Sounds like a can of Seafoam is a good idea every so often.
Maybe consider having your injectors cleaned by a Diesel/engine shop.
Cost me about $150 to get them cleaned and flowed within a few % of each other.
What a difference that alone made in both of my old cars.

They picked up over %10 more flow too.

Agreed that Chevron premium is some good gas.
7-11 gas is low grade off spec. fuel they get for cheap.

My brother is a retired Chevron exec. He knows all there is to know about Gasoline.
They make over 100 different grades of fuel for each states requirements. Summer/Winter, Ethanol, additives, etc..

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top