Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
"Fluttering" Under Load (Read 1234 times)
OK-944

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

"Fluttering" Under Load
Aug 13th, 2019 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Well maintained 1987 NA with 165K miles: While driving under some load...like a medium uphill grade in 5th gear with engine at around 3K rpm's - I can feel a slight "fluttering," like something is just a bit out of balance. 

Hard to say exactly where this is coming from - but definitely not from the rear of the car.  More like either directly underneath the gearshift, or forward towards the back of the engine.

Balance shaft timing checks out ok - so my thought is that this is a torque-tube issue.  As in it may be time to address the TT bearings.  Then again - perhaps this an early sign of a main bearing issue?

Oil pressure has always been good.  All other gauge readings fine and consistent.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

IP Logged

johnstahl
Experienced Member

Re: "Fluttering" Under Load
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 1:42am
Print Post  
I would think the TT bearings would make more of a bearing wearing out sound, more of a grinding. So my guess is a clutch issue. Could be caused by a rear seal issue (oil on clutch).

"Fluttering" is this a sound or more of a feeling like surging or very slight hesitations. A wearing clutch especially a rubber center can feel a bit like out of balance, especially as it chunks rubber out.

1988 Celebration Edition

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
What does "flutter" mean?
Please give greater detail on exactly what the car is doing?

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2019 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
That sounds like a slipping clutch.  The 5th gear uphill is the old test for it.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

OK-944

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2019 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Re: "fluttering"...a bit like a hummingbird, but more muffled, and not quite as quick.

As for the 5th gear "clutch test," this seems counterintuitive.  I'd think a slipping clutch would announce itself while attempting to accelerate briskly from a lower gear.

While the clutch was replaced awhile back, the engine has never been opened and does slowly seep a bit of oil, including from the rear main seal.  I'll be dropping the engine later this fall, with plans to open it up to see what it might need - and my guess is that all will become clear at that point.

IP Logged

T_Ryan.
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Anything loose on the bottom of the car? Under trays, wheel well liners, ect

IP Logged

Springgt

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
T_Ryan. wrote on Aug 16th, 2019 at 12:49pm:
Anything loose on the bottom of the car? Under trays, wheel well liners, ect

Yes, the large sheet metal heat shield above the muffler in the rear can vibrate if screws are loose or missing.

Original owner 1984 944 Guards Red
Just back on the road after a 7-8 year storage.  Yea!
YIM  
IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
A low frequency hum that is muffled sounds like a drive line vibration of some kind.
Especially since it happens under load.
May have a CV joint in failure mode.
May have an exhaust hanger broken or similar.
May have a balance shaft out of time.

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

anchor
Experienced Member

*Be vewwy vewwy quiet;
I'm hunting wabbits*

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Roll EyesRod Bearings? Maybe a long shot. There is one TRACK PCA NER PALMER video at a meet that sound like your description but of course flat or gradual height vertical road surface from APR of 2017. It is on U Tube should be easy to find with 944 and rod bearing contrast to other suggestions this far.

You already have a rear seal leak so it does stand to reason the journals are seeking sound velocity at pitch. If you know the frequency or can measure it and it reside between others that are out of range you have your answer because it is a picket fence gap in frequency noise.
Pitch and frequency are easily established when base is known. A great lesson is available but not in particular for this stated problem to be relative so the video if it sounds like and needs a reverberation fond it on U Tube as above.Also known as reverb flutter echo of metal on metal but it is sound my RPM needle was fluttering before the rod bearings were changed out.
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2019 at 1:53pm by anchor »  

* Elmuh Fudd / Yosemite Sam... Duuude, I cawwed shotgun dipwomacy 3 minutes ago *

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top