Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Fan Resistor Wires Frayed. How can I replace (Read 158 times)
Ronnie944

1990 Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet

Fan Resistor Wires Frayed. How can I replace
Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I have a 1990 944 S2 Cab that's new to me. The cooling fans behind the radiators go on and off at high speed intermittently and it didn't sound right. I searched the forums and learned the problem might be attributed to the resistor hockey pucks that are behind the battery or the wiring. I checked the area and good enough the wires are completely frayed and the insulation is gone.
I want to replace the frayed portion of the wires to see if it solves the problem, but I don't know what gauge wire to buy. Does anyone have any idea?

Ronnie - Ft Lauderdale, FL

IP Logged

Ronnie944

Re: Fan Resistor Wires Frayed. How can I replace
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
An update - it's the wires that plug into part number: 944 616 521 00

I see the resistors for sale here, but not the wires that connect to them.

Ronnie - Ft Lauderdale, FL

IP Logged

ModelGuy

Re: Fan Resistor Wires Frayed. How can I replace
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2019 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I had the same issue- the location of the resistor right under the windshield overhang seems designed to get wet!  The wires may appear green and corroded, and if so you can bet the corrosion goes back into the wire sheath. 

You need to remove the glove box (easy), pull the wires back through the firewall, cut back a few inches to clear any possible corrosion, and splice new extensions on.     Use a high quality connector and good thick gauge wire to ensure you don't create a hot spot.  Then thread the wires back through the rubber boot, crimp on spades and plug back in. Keep the wires in order though!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top