Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Belt Tensioning tool (Read 46 times)
Cole Thomas

Belt Tensioning tool
Oct 31st, 2019 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Hello,
I am going to attempt my first timing belt change in my 1983 porsche 944. Does anyone have one of the those belt tensioning tools that I could borrow? please PM me if you do and we will discuss cost. Also if anyone lives near Findlay Ohio and would like to help me with changing the belt that would be much appreciated. I just dont want to screw it up but also dont want to pay 1500 to have it done. Thanks.

IP Logged

SactoJohn
Experienced Member

Re: Belt Tensioning tool
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
So far the Arnworx tool has worked great for me and reasonable cost compared to the factory tool - http://www.arnnworx.com
I have noticed that 90 degree twist and 180 degree balance belt sure gets it very close to the tool settings. The hardest part is lining up the balance shaft pulleys. If you don't get those lined up right the seat will feel like a massage chair and you can't hold on to the shift knob long at 4000 rpm. The belt expands and contracts so what is "perfect" when you set it up, won't be once it warms up. Arnworx recommends a slightly tighter setting on the new belt since it will stretch a little. Unless you plan to sell the car in the next 2-3 years, buy that tool because you will need it.

IP Logged

Cole Thomas

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
SactoJohn wrote on Nov 3rd, 2019 at 10:06pm:
So far the Arnworx tool has worked great for me and reasonable cost compared to the factory tool - http://www.arnnworx.com
I have noticed that 90 degree twist and 180 degree balance belt sure gets it very close to the tool settings. The hardest part is lining up the balance shaft pulleys. If you don't get those lined up right the seat will feel like a massage chair and you can't hold on to the shift knob long at 4000 rpm. The belt expands and contracts so what is "perfect" when you set it up, won't be once it warms up. Arnworx recommends a slightly tighter setting on the new belt since it will stretch a little. Unless you plan to sell the car in the next 2-3 years, buy that tool because you will need it.

Thank you,
I have decided to take it to a shop because that will give me piece of mind knowing that it is done right.

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Findley is not far from me (Marshallville).

We should connect anyways. I have lot of parts and advice to help you on your journey.

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top