Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
1985 stumbles when letting off gas? (Read 31 times)
bret.allen8

1985 stumbles when letting off gas?
Nov 8th, 2019 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Hello, I recently purchased a 1985 NA 944. It's in perfect mechanical condition except one small thing. When I take the load off the engine, the RPMs drop dangerously low for just a second and then it recovers and idles correctly. I can be in neutral, tap on the throttle, and when it goes back down it drops too much, then goes back up to normal idle RPMs. I assume something controlling the idle speed is not functioning properly. Any help is appreciated, thanks! It's never died on me but gets pretty close to it.

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Re: 1985 stumbles when letting off gas?
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
This is a minor problem in the programming.  There is a way to "fix" it.  You can adjust the TPS so that the idle switch never closes.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

bret.allen8

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Dave W wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 7:12pm:
This is a minor problem in the programming.  There is a way to "fix" it.  You can adjust the TPS so that the idle switch never closes.

TPS gotcha. I'll check it out in a little and let you know the results. Thanks!

IP Logged

bret.allen8

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
I found out this issue is referred to as the "944 shudder". Must be common. I'll check TPS and anything else people recommending. I couldn't find the threads earlier because I had no idea how to word it lol.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top