Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Shift Rod hung up after replacement (Read 1421 times)
Meine44

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Shift Rod hung up after replacement
Nov 22nd, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Recently, I had to drop the transmission to replace the shift rod that connects to the linkage that runs on top of the transaxle at the rear.

I was able to get the transaxle lined up and back in the car. However, there seems to be something hanging up on the shift rod now.

I am able to shift the car into what I believe is 3rd and 4th, 5th and reverse gears. When in 4th or reverse, there is sometimes a lot of pressure pushing toward the front of the car; it is acting as of it wants to shift back to the neutral position.

When I try to shift into 1st and 2nd, the gear shift inside the car won't budge to the left. The only thing that I can tell is there is a clunking noise when I try and move the shifter to engage the first two gears.

I've also noticed that the shift rod itself is very close to the top of the opening it passes through at the transaxle. Should this be centered on that opening?

The linkage at the rear can be operated by hand through all the gears mentioned without issue.

Has anyone had experience with the shift rod being hung up on anything?

Or is there another possibility?

IP Logged

Meine44

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: Shift Rod hung up after replacement
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:54am
Print Post  
I've had some time to work on the car recently.  Progress is as follows:

I dropped the transaxle a second time to do more investigating.  The retaining ring that holds the centering spring in place was damaged.  WHen shifting through the gears, the gear selector was traveling past the 5/R shift gate and hanging up past the shifting forks.  I replace the retaining, and the gear selector now shifts through all three gates properly.

After reinstalling the transaxle, I am faced with the same trouble as before.  It seems the shift rod is not aligned properly with the shifter rod joint.  There is not enough rotational travel where the shift rod and shifter rod joint are connected.  There is plenty of room to rotate clockwise from the center position to reach 5/R gears, but the shifter rod joint will not travel with the shift rod to contact the 1/2 shift forks.  It seems the shifter rod joint is too short.

Is there any reason the shift rod would be rotationally out of alignment with the shifter rod joint?

All parts are stock.

Debating throwing the towel at it and taking it in to a shop at this point, I want to get this car back to road worthy.

IP Logged

XxSteve944onlinexX
944online Admin

Don't shoot the messenger.

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
The only 2 reasons I have seen your issues from is when the shift rod is bent or if the linkage was not put on the transmission correctly. Unless the problem is internal.

Can you shift the transmission into all of the gears with the linkage removed ? If you can shift the transmission into all the gears with the linkage removed then the problem is not internal.

Steven Manfre Sales Manager 1501 nw 22nd ct  #10 Pompano Beach,Fl 33069 Toll Free 866-944-7883 Local 954-968-3766 www.944online.com
IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2020 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
My only thought was that you may have a big tear in the big foam part around the shifter and something is catching on it.

But the "something is bent" theory seems more likely.  Maybe it got bent when dropping the transaxle.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

Meine44

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2020 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
I do not believe the shift rod is bent.  I replaced it with a used rod; the original had broken where the rod and shift linkage connect with the 10mm bolt.

I will have to double check the linkage the next time I can get under the car, it is possible the intermediate shaft that connects to the shift rod is in the wrong orientation.  I can get through all gears with the linkage disconnected.

The foam scenario has come up before, but the hang-up I'm having isn't a pressure feedback, its more of a hard stop.

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2020 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Is this a new shifter also?  Maybe you have the worn shifter problem.  Put it in some gear and measure the left/right movement.  If more than 1 inch, you need a new shifter.  The slop from a worn shifter will often not let you get to reverse and sometimes not let you get to first gear either.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley

IP Logged

Meine44

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
No, this is not a new shifter.  Only the shift rod has been replaced.  I have checked the shifter for play and it seems fine; I did have to replace the e-clip that holds the shifter in the car to the shift rod, but it dows not move around once it is in gear as you describe.

I was able to get under the car today and re-orient the the linkage mechanism.  I also took some pictures.  One of the pictures below is a replacement linkage hat came with the shift rod I purchased.  I believe it is in the correct orientation pictured.  That said, I think the pictures of the linkage now on the car are in the incorrect orientation.  Is it possible the Turbo linkage is different from other models?

Now, when trying to shift through the gears, I can get to 1/2, 3/4, and 5th, but not Reverse.  However, in re-orienting the shift linkage as pictured, shifting into 1/3/5 now results in the shifter in the car returning with extreme pressure to the "Neutral" position.  Gears 2/4 will sit in the gear properly.  I cannot get to Reverse as the shifter in the car now hits the surrounding console when shifting toward the Reverse gate.

It seems no matter what orientation I install the linkage, as soon as I tighten the 13mm and 17mm bolts to center the shifter rod joint, I am unable to get the shifter inside the car to the left.  It will still go into gears 1/2, but the shifter is in the center of the console and will not go any further.  This is also what is causing the 5/R gate to contact the console inside the car.

I have confirmed again that with the linkage disconnected from the shift rod, I can move into the gears by hand manipulating the linkage on top of the transaxle.

I do not know how to upload images here, but do have this posted on another forum with images.  I am not sure what the rules are here for posting links to other sites.

IP Logged

Meine44

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2020 at 7:33pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

XxSteve944onlinexX
944online Admin

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Sounds alot like your shift rod is getting stuck on the shifter foam that sits above the torque tube. The fact that you said that the shift lever forces back to neutral with extreme pressure is what leads me to believe that the foam is your problem.

Steven Manfre Sales Manager 1501 nw 22nd ct  #10 Pompano Beach,Fl 33069 Toll Free 866-944-7883 Local 954-968-3766 www.944online.com
IP Logged

Meine44

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2020 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I will double check the foam, however I don't believe this is the issue.  The shifter moves freely without being connected to the shift rod.

Is there another location for the foam other than inside the car at the shifter surround?

IP Logged

XxSteve944onlinexX
944online Admin

Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
No other location for the foam besides directly under the shifter. Originally when they are new there is a cutout inside the foam for the shift rod to move freely in. Over time the foam degrades and starts to get soft and collapse. When you remove the transmission or shift rod that cutout usually collapses and when everything is reinstalled you end up with the issue you are having.

IP Logged

Meine44

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2020 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I moved the shift rod and inspected the foam.  Is is not in great shape, but I was able to confirm that the shift rod isn't being hung up on the foam.  There is a metallic sound when the shift rod moves, which seems to be coming from the area directly behind the foam.  It sounds like the shift rod is getting hung up on something within the tunnel that the shift rod travels through.

With the shift rod disconnected from the intermediate shaft, this metallic "clunk" sound can be heard when moving the shifter inside the car.  When shift rod and intermediate shaft are connected, I am having the same problem where the 1/2 shifter gates are inaccessible. 

It appears that there is an obstruction preventing the shifter from moving to the left gates when fully connected.  Either where the shift rod travels above the torque tube, or some mechanical failure at the shift linkage.  There is no visual obstruction that I can see. 

Back to square 1.

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Reply #12 - Oct 19th, 2020 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Your first gear position should be much further to the left.  It looks like your 5th gear position is hitting the right side of the hole.  Something is not installed correctly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top