Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Camshaft question (Read 364 times)
Taycon4

Camshaft question
Dec 20th, 2019 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Greetings! I'm doing a ground up restore on my 86' 944 and stopped by the performance shop yesterday to see how things were progressing.  I was told I need to order a high performance, hardened camshaft soon and really don't see to many options out there. Any recommendations? I've looked at Lindsey Racing and one other very small shop, but still have questions. My goal is to get to 200 hp NA maybe 205 hp. Would a 8V 551 cam work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: Camshaft question
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I have a few questions.
Why a "high performance" cam?
No specs given for what you need?
Do you know what you are after?
More duration?
Not too many options with hotter cams.
I don't like Webcam. I have seen way too many of them fail.

What do you mean by "hardended". Most cams are made from cast Iron. As such they are relatively soft when new, and get "work hardended" during the cam break-in process.

I will add this: most shops that sell hi-po cams for Porsches are just a Webcam, Engle, Scat, or a few others, re-branded and marked up ALOT.
$800 is ridiculous to pay for any cam.

Lastly: the stock cam would be considered Hi-po in any other engine. 254deg of duration is already more than most stock cams will ever have.
The .460" lift the stock cam has can't really change unless you buy a "special" cam tower and cam with larger bearings. (more room for a bigger lobe).
Not practial on a 944 motor.
So, my last question is: Why do you think you need a longer duration cam?
It will push the powerband up in RPMs.
Looking for 8,000rpm?

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

OhioTom
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2019 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Who makes that 8V 551 cam?
Do you have a link to the cam specs?

Tom Simpson&&VW/Porsche freak.

IP Logged

jockellis
Experienced Member

Drive like your license
depended upon it.

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
From what I’ve read - I have no experience - cam profiles today are for a higher lift and shorter duration. I’m putting a Webcam 86a in my 914. Hope it doesn’t fail but then I’ve - once again read - max power is on the downhill side by 5800. That is perfect for what I want and the same power band as the 356C SC models.
I suppose anything is possible but jumping from a 158 HP engine to 205 without variable cam timing is going to produce an engine with no low end power.

Jock Ellis: White 1988 944 NA, '73 914 1.7 project, '72 parts car, '68 912 engine (basket case); Gone but not forgotten: '68 912, '72 914-6, '73 914 1.7, '64 1600 SC Coupe, '60 1600 Super Roadster

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top