Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Battery Drain (Read 824 times)
952turbo

1989 Turbo

Battery Drain
Jan 8th, 2020 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
All

Need help.  Battery dead.  Changed battery.  BUT only after taking out window switches and cleaning them.  I was having intermittent use of power windows.  Now they work perfect.  Had battery dead next morning.  Bought new battery.  Installed..car fired right up.  Now battery dead after just a day.  Is it possible that by cleaning my window switches something happened causing a drain now?

I did the turn to on position with door closed - turned to off position and tried rolling up and down the window...nothing happened.  I was told this is a good way to see...

Another thing i was told to check is the door light switch.  I open door and light comes on.  When pushing the driver side it goes off, comes back on goes off and stays off even we not pushing in the button and door is open.  push it a couple more times and light pops back on.  again - very intermittent.  Tried passenger side same way and have light off and on as it should be.  Could this be draining battery?  a bad door light switch?

Thoughts?

718 Cayman GTS / 89 944 Turbo

IP Logged

952turbo

1989 Turbo

Re: Battery Drain
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
So i just re did the turn on car thing.  actually started it this time (my bad - I am not an electrical guy).  Shut the door, ran the car, shut it off, opened the door and then checked windows with car off and they actually did go down a bit and then stop.  Does this = bad swtiches?  It happened on both passenger and driver side. 

718 Cayman GTS / 89 944 Turbo

IP Logged

Dave W
Experienced Member

Just your basic car guy.

Re: Battery Drain
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
There is a power relay connected to the door switch.  It keeps the power on after you turn the engine off so that you can roll up windows or listen to the radio.  When you open the door, the relay turns off the power.  If the door switch needs cleaning or replacing, this power relay may stay on and cause a drain.

Dave - black 84 no longer exists. Sad 83 self destructed. All better now. Smiley
... Let's go hit some twisty roads! ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top