Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Clicking noise after spark plug change (Read 589 times)
leftarmer

Clicking noise after spark plug change
Jan 12th, 2020 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Need some guidance..
just changed my car’s spark plugs with NGK Iridiums.. wires seemed ok so didn’t change them..
It was my first time using a torque wrench. I did set it to 20 ft lbs but stopped before I heard the click sound as it felt tight enough and I didn’t want to mess up the threads..

after starting it, I am hearing a ticking/spark sound..

i bought the plugs that matched my car from Pelican parts. I didn’t check the gap before installing.. assumed that they were gapped correctly.

i didn’t torque them to 20 ft lbs as I was scared of messing up my threads.. they are in pretty tight..

I didn’t change the existing wires (Beru). Should I have changed the wires that would work with NGK plugs?

i checked the car in the dark while running and I didn’t see any arcs..

this was my first time doing a DIY change.. wonder what mistake/s I made..

IP Logged

green mountain crusier

Re: Clicking noise after spark plug change
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
You might try Clark's garage. They have a section in the shop manual for checking and replacing spark plugs.

IP Logged

T_Ryan.
Experienced Member

I love Forum 1G - SP1!

Re: Clicking noise after spark plug change
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
these cars like regular copper core plugs. I have the later version of the 3.0 and it uses the triple electrode style. they are still available in ngk and bosch.

I am not a fan of 'lifetime' anything, especially plugs on motors that run with higher CO ouput.

with new plugs, you can feel the washers crush at about 1/2 turn after seating on a cold motor. the box should say 3/4 turn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top