Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
84 944 swap conversion with a VW TDI 400+HP build (Read 834 times)
Mongler98

84 944 swap conversion with a VW TDI 400+HP build
Apr 1st, 2020 at 2:34am
Print Post  
So let me start by saying, HI! I’m new here (obviously)
My story:
I have a 944 I got a year ago that was a complete roller with no engine for $ 600 bucks in decent shape, 0 rust, few dents, nothing major I can't handle.
I have had a vw Jetta mk3 TDI and have lost my marbles because I’m running 320HP but the VW car itself is just junk now.
I am going to do what I have only seen a few people do before but never with this engine and never with a performance power build.
In a nut shell, I’m going to keep the 944 a near sleeper but with suspension and what not upgraded. I’m keeping the VW engine to the mods and making it fit around the 944 vs altering the 944 much at all to make it work.
This is a LONG project I just started after 2 years of planning and getting prepped for it. I will need LOTS of help from you all and I look forward to getting to know you guys and gals and sharing what I’m doing.
I do have a YouTube channel that I started you can follow and see the progress, I don’t care about subs or views, and I’m doing this for documentation and sharing with those who care enough to be into this.
in this next week I will have the 944 in my shop and this fall is when things are going to go nuts with work, right now it’s going to be slow but still an adventure.

IP Logged

Mongler98

Re: 84 944 swap conversion with a VW TDI 400+HP build
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 2:35am
Print Post  
here is a link to the channel on my intro video as to what i'm doing and what its all about, and i just uploaded the video of the MK3 getting scrapped, ripped my gutz out to do it and i still tear up when i watch the memorial video, she was 9 years of work blood and sweat and glory of autocross in the end. I loved the car and the adventures i had in it and with it. BUT i will love the 944 even more with my beloven VW's TDI engine pumping out 400+ HP at the wheels and tearing up the autocross track.
Intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi4bRefewiA
Memorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=736rMIv6AFQ

IP Logged

pfarah77
Experienced Member

84 NA, It will be brand
new when I'm done!

Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Welcome and have fun on this journey. Your project is way beyond my abilities so I'll just watch from the sidelines...

Patrick

IP Logged

Mongler98

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
the thing of it is, i think im good when it comes to the swap and what not. The issue i have, i know nothing about the 944. im sure i can figure it all out but there are questions im sure i might be able to find but some help would be great.
need to convert or figure out how to singal the tach from my VW TDi AHU to the 944 cluster. i'm assuming the speedo is off the trans in the rear so im set there. the rest of the gauges i should be able to figure out or adapt.
Also looking for info on how to upgrade the suspension brakes and so on. but thats way down the road. for now this is a intro phase.
ill keep everything up to date with the youtube channel vs posting things on 4 separate forums.

IP Logged

SactoJohn
Experienced Member

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2020 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I owned a Mk3 TDI, did a stage 2 tune, and swapped from auto to manual before selling the car. I have also spent lots of time on my 83 944. I am curious how you will install the TDI engine since it is FWD and transmission on the side, rotate the engine 90 degrees? How will you mount the bell housing and torque tube? The engine mounts are completely different too. I have seen 300 ft lbs of torque on those, but never 350 hp. It would certainly be blowing smoke like a train and would need a big turbo. On the other hand, my Golf was a blast to drive and very comfortable. My only complaint was the transmission shifting wasn't so sporty like a 944. Otherwise, it was just as fun as my 944, just different and I wanted a classic truck, not another sporty little car. I just don't know why you wouldn't just put that engine in a nice Golf GTI and put a 944 engine back in the 944. I would pick #1 option both cars with matching engines in each, #2 option nice Golf with modified TDI engine, #3 option scrappy 944 with used 944 engine and sell the TDI engine for money to make the 944 nice.

IP Logged

Mongler98

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2020 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Yes rotate 90* use the TDI trans but slice off the trans part and basically keep it as a “bell housing” welding on the back plate of the 944 bellhousing, and using the o2j from the TDIs trans input spline shaft and welding it to the torque tube input shaft after cutting it off. Lots of jigs and work to do that to make sure its 100% strait.
I’m going to run electric water, Power steering, pumps and relocate the AC compressor and alternator on the TDI so I can use the rear mount and the front water pump housing area for a custom mount. 
Right now my TDI is built for 230HP at the wheels.
450 is pushing it lol, spraying NOS, c3h8, and water/meth to it is going to be the trick to reach past 400hp,
full head, cam, 100mm crank stroke and bored to 82mm. 1 massive turbo and a supercharger, 38PSI  1st stage, 85PSI 2nd stage.
Girdle plate, massive intake, lots of injectable, coated pistons and hard core rods, CNC head work from franko6

Because VWs are rust buckets for econo hipster’s lol JK I love the TDI, I have it, and want to do the swap, a few others have done this but not with the AHU and not like I’m doing so, it will be awesome and crazy for sure. LS swaps are dumb o9nly because there logical and everyone has done one. If I wanted the 944 to run now, I would just toss my 350sbc into it, there are kits lol

IP Logged

924man
Experienced Member

Yes thats a hasselblad,
no you cant touch it.

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2020 at 1:15am
Print Post  
it sounds interesting, a nice change from the LS swap guys who come on here every few months only to learn they dont have 40k to drop and make the car livable as a daily. sure you can buy a junk yard LS for afew 100 bucks and a good one for 3k but the rest of the parts and time is where it adds up. i think a vr6 turbo would be better as we know porsche has already done that.

-red 1987 924s 34k miles
gold 2001 Chrysler town and country 3.3 lx flex 405k miles
blue 2006 chrysler town and country 3.8 touring 131k miles
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top