Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
NA MAF Kit (Read 467 times)
Ian_B

NA MAF Kit
Jul 2nd, 2020 at 3:09am
Print Post  
Just wanted to share my experience with the Rouge Tuning NA MAF kit since I just finished installing it on my 2.7L 89 NA. I had done some searching and found maybe two or so posts about it and only one from someone who had installed it. So here was my experience/if it's worth it:

Installation:
Overall it was pretty simple, I've done a fair amount of wrenching so I'm by no means new but I feel like anyone could do this fairly easily if they take their time. Replacing the chip in the DME isn't difficult, just need to be cautious not to damage the board. The main sources of trouble I ran into were re-installing the wooden board in the passenger footwell and the bottom bolt closest to the front of the car in the airbox. The design of the airbox makes it extremely difficult to remove, I had to use a tiny 10mm on a u-joint on an extension. But like I said other than that install was fairly easy.

Results:
I haven't dyno'd my car before and after so I couldn't tell you any numbers but rouge tuning's site advertises 5-10% increase in power across the board. My butt-dyno says that's probably accurate. Overall the engine is more peppy and pulls slightly harder with the biggest change being around 4k-5k RPM. You will not be blown away but it is certainly nice.

Is it worth it?
From my experience the MAF kit ONLY is not really worth it. There's a lot better mods you can get for $600 (cough cough, tires) but if you're looking for a little extra out of the car it could be a good fit for you. Now that being said the MAF kit AND cam key seems to be pretty nice: around a 20hp bump. That's probably the combo that you should go for but regardles I still don't regret my purchase. My AFM was on it's way out and I know how expensive those can get. I'm glad to have replaced it with a less complex part. The power bump and potential economy gains (I'll find out over the course of this month) are just a bonus.

TL;DR - It's not the best use of $600 but I like it and it wasn't hard to install. If you're going to be replacing your AFM already I'd definitely consider it.

Oh and if I actually manage to remember I'll post about any changes to fuel economy. My current stats are around: 24mpg mixed and 27mpg hwy. I daily drive it to my job in Raleigh (25min drive) so 24mpg is probably around 60% hwy 40% city and I recorded 27mpg on my roadtrip up to Boone, NC and back.

1989 944 2.7L 5spd - Daily Driver
1987 944 2.5L 5spd - Deceased Sad

IP Logged

Ian_B

Re: NA MAF Kit
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Okay so I wrote the "worth it?" section waaaaay too early. I want to revise it to say that if you like your NA and have the cash I'd say go for it. I didn't really notice it when driving around last night but on my commute today I felt a much larger difference. I was right to say it won't blow you out of the water but this is a very nice change.

I've heard others saying it "wakes up the engine" and I'd have to agree now. For example accelerating in 4th and 5th at anything below 3k RPM felt more or less like riding an overburdened donkey but now it actually gets up and goes fairly quickly. I think a good way to understand the change would be to compare the difference in feel between driving around with a bunch of luggage in the back and then removing all that luggage. It's not anything ridiculous but it certainly feels quicker and more lively.

Also interesting side effect: not sure how/why but the exhaust note has changed. Sounds more throaty.

IP Logged

jacob estes
Experienced Member

A plan is just a list
of things that don't
happen

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
I've considered this, but the AFM seems to be the only thing on my car that refuses to die. I keep telling myself I won't try to improve the car until I actually get it back to the baseline, or if parts have to be replaced. Ugh lol.

1985.5 944 NA

IP Logged

Ian_B

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:06am
Print Post  
Probably smart to hold off on that kind of thing. This is certainly more of a "nice to have" mod. Best of luck restoring yours! I'm glad to see people keeping them on the road, far too many have been neglected.

IP Logged

Chabaz1

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2020 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Is this the kit you're talking about?

http://roguetuning.com/944_maf_kit_na-tune%C2%A9

Should I get this for my 85.5 944 NA that I am looking to get a bit (just a bit!) more oomph out of this baby? I really don't want to do any large engine upgrades, but if this particular upgrade has been kid tested, mother approved and easy enough to install - I may be swayed..

Let me know when you're able to and thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top